Would it be better to buy another 9800 GT or...

N3crosis

Sell the 9800 GT that I have and get a GTS 250? I'm probably going to get a 40" T.V. soon with a higher resolution than my monitor so I think it's probably wise to upgrade. What are your thoughts on my situation?

Thanks

N3crosis

In general it is my opinion that 1 higher end video card is better than two lower end in SLI.

Yeah that's why I was sort of opting towards the GTS 250... but I don't really have a way to sell my other card, and if I can't sell it then the cheaper 9800 GT would probably be the better option. :(

Leopold Butters

Yeah that's why I was sort of opting towards the GTS 250... but I don't really have a way to sell my other card, and if I can't sell it then the cheaper 9800 GT would probably be the better option. :(

I thought the 250GTS was the same as the 9800GT, or was that 9800GTX?

Candy

Buy the GTS 250, then later down the track you can SLI two of those if the need arises.

Kornowski

VIP Member
The 9 series actually scale pretty awesome in SLI. Adding another 9800 would be a nice, low-cost upgrade. You'd certainly see a difference in performance.

The more 'future proof' way would be to buy the GTS250. To be honest though, adding another 9800 would be cheaper and see the same, if not better performance than the GTS250.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Near enough any card would run the high res. I have a friend with a 9800 AGP and he runs 1920 x 1200 no problem.

You'll run into problems when gaming at the res with a low end card, but if it's just for desktop use then get something mid range. Or stick with what you've got.

kookooshortman55

Buy the GTS 250, then later down the track you can SLI two of those if the need arises.

That's probably what he was thinking when he bought the 9800GT :p

I would just go with another 9800GT. It should perform just as well if not better, but regardless, you're just chasing technology. There's always going to be a better video card, you might as well make do with what you have and SLI. You would be basically upgrading from a 9800GT to a 9800GTX, and then have to worry about selling the GT.

N3crosis

I would just go with another 9800GT. It should perform just as well if not better, but regardless, you're just chasing technology. There's always going to be a better video card, you might as well make do with what you have and SLI. You would be basically upgrading from a 9800GT to a 9800GTX, and then have to worry about selling the GT.

Yeah, that's what I'm probably going to do. Thanks a lot.

Candy

Good point, haha. Hadn't thought of it like that :)

kookooshortman55

Good point, haha. Hadn't thought of it like that :)

Haha yeah but don't worry, I would normally advise towards getting a more powerful single card, but I guess the GTS 250 is just too close to the 9800GT. Had to call a different shot this time, lol.

smoothjk

Yea, going from a 9800GT to a GTX250 is an incremental upgrade. You would go through all the trouble of selling your old card, plop down the money for the new card, power up your computer with a smile, then realize it feels almost the same.

A second 9800GT, though it doesn't scale perfectly, would be a much better option (now, if you were going to upgrade to a GTX275 or something, that's different).