Would this Computer Be Good for Gaming

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I recently found something that I think is better than the Dell XPS 420 i was looking at. Its the Gateway FX530B. Now I havent heard much about Gateway computers so if yall could tell me about them compared to Dell's, please do. Anyways this computer is an entire $3 cheaper (i know, i cant contain myself either) but anyways, basically it looks like this Gateway has a better processor while the Dell has a bigger hard drive. I personally think that a better processor is way better than a bigger hard drive, my currently computer has 250GB and its doing fine. I dont think i need a 320GB hard drive that the Dell's comes with. Btw my plan with the graphics card is that no matter which computer i get, im going to get the cheapest one it comes with and buy and install a 8600GTS, as ill save $50 this way, and, i dont have that much money yet anyway so i can get it whenever i have the money and go ahead and get the computer. But from what it looks like, apparently, the cheapest Dell card completely sucks and the Gateway one is pretty bad. Pretty bad is still better than completely suckish, though i need confirmation that the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE is at least a little better than the 128MB Radeon ATI HD 2400 PRO. Heres the Gateway computer i was looking at. Could yall tell me how it is compared to the Dell?

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)

Customized Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules) [$99.00]

Customized Hard Drive 250GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache [$29.00]

Customized Optical Drive 48x/32x/48x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive [$39.00]

Video NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE 256MB (512MB shared)

Media Card Reader 9-in-1 Memory Card Reader

Customized Speakers No Speakers Selected

Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.5

Backup Media Cyberlink Power2Go (for Windows Vista® Home Premium and Ultimate)

Chassis Gateway® 7-bay BTX tower case

Chipset Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 Support and Intel® Core™ Duo support

Customized Color FX Logo Accent - Blue Carbon

Keyboard Gateway® Elite Keyboard (Windows Vista® Certified)

Motherboard Intel® 975X Chipset with DDR2 and Intel® Core™ Duo support

Mouse Soft-touch USB Optical Wheel Mouse

Network Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet

Operating System Backup Media Windows Vista® Home Premium Backup Media (32-bit)

Power Supply 700-Watt Power Supply

Security Software McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Windows Vista®)

Warranty 1 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)

Tis' all great until you wonder why not the G0 stepping, then you go down the the graphics card and you faint...

Gateway = not so good...

Custom = Best way, try it out! Great learning experience!

vonfeldt7

seriously, build your own computer. Don't make the same mistake as I did (I'm only 2 years older than you). I purchased a Dell, and I really wish I hadn't. My friend told me to build my own....and I wish I would have listened to him.

The Dells been fine and everything, but I could have gotten a LOT better deal if I would have built my own.

If you need any help with building your own, just ask here.

chupacabra

Dell does suck on their own way von, specially gaming wise, and the biggest thing they suck is components, since they give you crap from unknown brand or no name things

oscaryu1

VIP Member
In my opinion, Dell does not suck. I highly support von's statement. They can be poor and overpriced compared to an quality custom, but Dell is extremely stable, and strong. My dad (used to work at Dell 24/7 Burn-in section) has an Insprion 1200 that has been abused. He has like 10 yr old Dell servers, their running great.

b3rt_d4ni3l

Customized Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules) [$99.00]

Customized Hard Drive 250GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 8MB cache [$29.00]

Security Software McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Windows Vista®)

That case, will be your undoing in case you need to upgrade anything inside your computer. You mentioned that you will be changing your GFX, I believe it is still fine but when it comes to changing your motherboard, you will see a problem since BTX form is not commonly used.

Just want to give you a heads up. Also as everyone here have been saying building one yourself is really not hard at all.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
That case, will be your undoing in case you need to upgrade anything inside your computer. You mentioned that you will be changing your GFX, I believe it is still fine but when it comes to changing your motherboard, you will see a problem since BTX form is not commonly used.

Just want to give you a heads up. Also as everyone here have been saying building one yourself is really not hard at all.

mBTX, true:

CAS6168BXDBS.gif

BTX, maybe:

518blackangled.jpg

wiwazevedo

hey buddy!
stay away from dell
stay away from hp, gateway
all of that

check this out

the dell xps 720 H2C computer
is priced at 5,275 with a good gaming spec

i put together almost the exact same thing on newegg (i put a better motherboard)
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs221&d=07454&f=garbage.jpg (i added an asus striker extreme - not shown in picture)
and came up with 3500

saving you almost 2000 dollars
still want to buy dell?

Darth Vapor

I recently found something that I think is better than the Dell XPS 420 i was looking at. Its the Gateway FX530B. Now I havent heard much about Gateway computers so if yall could tell me about them compared to Dell's, please do. Anyways this computer is an entire $3 cheaper (i know, i cant contain myself either) but anyways, basically it looks like this Gateway has a better processor while the Dell has a bigger hard drive. I personally think that a better processor is way better than a bigger hard drive, my currently computer has 250GB and its doing fine. I dont think i need a 320GB hard drive that the Dell's comes with. Btw my plan with the graphics card is that no matter which computer i get, im going to get the cheapest one it comes with and buy and install a 8600GTS, as ill save $50 this way, and, i dont have that much money yet anyway so i can get it whenever i have the money and go ahead and get the computer. But from what it looks like, apparently, the cheapest Dell card completely sucks and the Gateway one is pretty bad. Pretty bad is still better than completely suckish, though i need confirmation that the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE is at least a little better than the 128MB Radeon ATI HD 2400 PRO. Heres the Gateway computer i was looking at. Could yall tell me how it is compared to the Dell?

I build now - but back before I knew building was a viable option I preferred Gateway over dell any day

oscaryu1

VIP Member
hey buddy!
stay away from dell
stay away from hp, gateway
all of that

check this out

the dell xps 720 H2C computer
is priced at 5,275 with a good gaming spec

i put together almost the exact same thing on newegg (i put a better motherboard)
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs221&d=07454&f=garbage.jpg (i added an asus striker extreme - not shown in picture)
and came up with 3500

saving you almost 2000 dollars
still want to buy dell?

Wait until this Xmas. 9800 comes out, new Quads... prices are going down...

Dirtmuncher111

Hey guys Im sorry to disappoint some of yall but ive pretty much made a decision at my final computer and yes, It will be bought. It is the AlienWare Aurora 7500 which seems to be a very reasonable price, for what you get (much higher graphics card, memory, hard drive, tons of accessories (dont worry the accessories arent why im getting it)). Heres the specs so can yall tell me how much of an improvement over the dell this is?

Specs for the Aurora 7500:

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Conspiracy Blue
System Lighting: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Terra Green
High-Performance Liquid Cooling: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 700 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Processors - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5200+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Desktop Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer DVD±RW
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard
Monitor: No Monitor
Keyboard: Alienware® USB Full-Size Keyboard
Mouse : Alienware® Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
AlienContact: Added Bonus with any AlienSupport Selection
AlienContact - Remote Alienware Support
Security Software: McAfee® VirusScan Plus – 30-Day Free Trial Factory Installed!
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mousepad
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
Window Style: Blue Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Wallpaper: Redefining Your Standards (Widescreen)
Wallpaper: Alien Cyborg (Widescreen)
Wallpaper: Alien Schematic (Widescreen)
Power Plan: Standard Power Plan
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Sidebar Gadgets: CPU Meter
RSS Feeds: Alienware News:
Get the latest Alienware news delivered directly to your desktop!
Time Zones: (GMT - 5.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

lanpartiercarter

Ok I own the dell 410 an older model and it can game but not as well as you would like it to and dell mobos suck because you cant oc anything