Would you buy one

• yes

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 33 75.0%

• Total voters

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its pointless to compare a dual socket server board to a desktop anyway, whats the point, be better to wait till the AM2+ and AM3s come out

Geoff

VIP Member
Its pointless to compare a dual socket server board to a desktop anyway, whats the point, be better to wait till the AM2+ and AM3s come out
Yes it's basically a server board, but the 4x4 changed the server boards for consumer needs, so it's more of a consumer-based dual socket motherboard, especially since it doesnt need registered RAM.

pdc76

i would buy only after amd quad's come out, so i could run 2 of them and have an 8 core machine. there's no need for that now though. software needs to catch up first.

Archangel

VIP Member
define 'new' the fx-62 isnt new,.. I would get one (if i had the spare money) just because i could just fit it into my pc i have right now, and overclock it (the fx-60 that is)

either way.. Im definately looking forward to AMD's next fx cpu,.. my gues would be thats a quad core. :)

Dual_Corex2

banned
define 'new' the fx-62 isnt new,.. I would get one (if i had the spare money) just because i could just fit it into my pc i have right now, and overclock it (the fx-60 that is)

either way.. Im definately looking forward to AMD's next fx cpu,.. my gues would be thats a quad core. :)

They already have quad core FX cpus. The FX-73 is one. And i wouldnt get the FX-62, not worth the money at all. My X2 OCed to 2.8ghz will out perform it.

Here is a list of the latest FX cpus:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9488^10756,00.html

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
FX 73? I don't see one of those on your list ;) And if it was it'd be a quad FX chip which means it's only dual core (FX-72/74 are both dual core)

Dual_Corex2

banned
FX 73? I don't see one of those on your list ;) And if it was it'd be a quad FX chip which means it's only dual core (FX-72/74 are both dual core)

Then why does it say they are quad core? Yea, i forgot the number so i put 73.

Oh dual sockets, same difference. Not alot of need for a quad core in gaming anyhow.

Archangel

VIP Member
an x-2 at 2.8GHz would outperform an fx-62 at stock speeds i gues. but if you have an fx-processor, and dont overclock it.. you shouldnt have gotten an fx-processor in the first place, because you have no idea how to use it :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Not really same difference. With dual socket K8s you have memory coherency checks that eat performance, where as a quad-core wouldn't have them.

Dual_Corex2

banned
an x-2 at 2.8GHz would outperform an fx-62 at stock speeds i gues. but if you have an fx-processor, and dont overclock it.. you shouldnt have gotten an fx-processor in the first place, because you have no idea how to use it :)

Once i get a more powerfull psu hopfully ill be able to push my X2 towards 3ghz. Its a long shot, but it did so well at 2.8ghz. The only thing then was my memory refused to go any further even with a divider. And i believe thats my PSUs fault. Its a hunk of crap.

Archangel

VIP Member
I didnt get past 2.8GHz either with mine so far.. and i gues i can blame my memory for that (2x 256 from my dad's HP,.. after i gave him 2x 512mb from my pc.. maybe a bad trade.. but he needed it more than me)
so now the timings are 3-4-4-8.. not really great.

Dual_Corex2

banned
I didnt get past 2.8GHz either with mine so far.. and i gues i can blame my memory for that (2x 256 from my dad's HP,.. after i gave him 2x 512mb from my pc.. maybe a bad trade.. but he needed it more than me)
so now the timings are 3-4-4-8.. not really great.

Here is some of my OC screens:

280mhzcpugo5.jpg

280mhzmediafg3.jpg

675pc7.jpg

bandwidthho3.jpg

Archangel

VIP Member
not bad.. I gues. I havnt been pushing my CPU much so far.. Like said.. my ram is really crappy atm :(

btw
Tell me baby, whats your story? Where you come from and where you wanna go this time?
Isn't that from that rhcp song,.. erm, Californication?

lovely?

[-0MEGA-];556699 said:
People dont have problems with Intel either.

So you're saying that you would want to buy two processors, a dual-socket motherboard, and 4x RAM modules, which would cost alot more money, then a cheaper, better performing Intel Core 2 system?

if you look at the standpoint that, he is used to everything being AMD, and he probably doesnt know what would change if he were to go to intel, like weird options, or formatting problems, or some random crap.

lovely?

not bad.. I gues. I havnt been pushing my CPU much so far.. Like said.. my ram is really crappy atm :(

btw

why yes, yes it is rhcp, but it is no californication. i think its called danny california

maroon1

But remember that the latest driver from nvidia forceware 93.71 has some bugs. It multiplies the memory speed by 2
So, your memory speed is actually 740MHz, not 1.48GHz

Personally, I recommend to rollback to forceware 91.47 because it has less problems.

Dual_Corex2

banned

btw

Nope, close. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tell me baby. But i LOVE all their songs. Great music.

Dual_Corex2

banned
But remember that the latest driver from nvidia forceware 93.71 has some bugs. It multiplies the memory speed by 2
So, your memory speed is actually 740MHz, not 1.48GHz

Personally, I recommend to rollback to forceware 91.47 because it has less problems.

Yea, i relized that when i updated the drivers. It was more focused on the gpu speed of 675mhz. From the stock 550mhz.

Dual_Corex2

banned
[-0MEGA-];556699 said:
So you're saying that you would want to buy two processors, a dual-socket motherboard, and 4x RAM modules, which would cost alot more money, then a cheaper, better performing Intel Core 2 system?

Well of course Omega. I mean, isnt that the most logical way to go? :D

Core 2 Duo Xtreme rapes AMD in all holes :p

jimmymac

VIP Member
way to triple post :rolleyes:

anyways, in answer to the original question, a few days ago i would have said no, for the price i could upgrade to C2D

however i have seen an FX-60 for £200 which would be a damn sight cheaper for me so i am now seriously considering it.

however i am pretty certain that my Asus A8v-deluxe won't support the FX-60 so might need a bit more research on that