wtf is going on?

xavier1

first off, im a noob when it comes to all this, so sorry for my horrible vocabulary and everything.
ok so ill be playing wow no problem, no lagging, crystal clear screen, no flickering, whatever. then randomly the screen will freeze, then it will go back to the desktop and message will be there saying the the display driver stopped working properly, and to restart the computer to restore "full display functionality" or something. during all this the colors on the desktop is equivelent to windows 95, which it wasnt before the computer freaked out. so ill restart the computer, but when in the middle of when its booting up and everything, a black screen comes up with an underscore line or something in the upper left corner flashing. and then its stuck like that and i dont know what to do (my bro knows how to fix it. but he wont tell me, cause hes a dick).
so what gives? can anyone help me out?
any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

xavier1

haha i like jozeorules solution. maybe as a last resort?

and im using xp.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 504MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

if you need more then ask.

memory

What video card do you have? Have you tried reinstalling the video drivers? If not, try that.

xavier1

im not sure what video card i have. how do i find out? and how do i reinstall the drivers?

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
When you get that error it means the video card has shut itself off. It has a "safety" built in and will stop to prevent damage. This is more than likely the caused by overheating. I would be willing to bet that the graphics card needs to be cleaned. When the metal heat sinks get full of dust, the dust actually acts like insulation and traps heat in.

-Download GPUZ from the link below, once downloaded install it and that will tell you the exact model of your graphics card..
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

- Once you know the exact model go to the manufacture's website and get the latest driver for the card and your operating system. Here are the links for Nvidia and ATI. Wait to install the driver, just download it.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

- Shut down computer and unplug it, hit the power button to discharge any electricity.

- Open the side of your case and locate your graphics card.

- Take off the power cable and unscrew the PCI slot screw.

- Take out your card and see if it is dirty.

- Blow it out with compressed air, might need to use small paint brush to get off built up dust.

- Reset your card and screw it in and connect power cable.

- plug it back in and fire it up. Once it is running...run the driver file and install it. Follow the instructions from the driver file, you'll have to restart your computer. Once you have restarted it....play the game and post again if you have more issues.:D

****EDIT**** and by the way...swearing is not allowed here. I have a horrible vocabulary, I have been a Soldier for 9 years, every other word I say starts with an F...just not here.

Last edited:

xavier1

ok thanks alot for the help. :D hopefully this works.

and sorry for swearing. i was really frustrated.
it wont happen again. :)