WTF is wrong with my laptop?

Primex

Ok, so I've had big problems lately with my laptop. The CPU usage was going through the roof so I accepted that I probably downloaded a virus or something. I took it to the Geek Squad where I realized that all they did was reformat the harddrive with XP Pro, which I could have done myself. Well they also lost the CD with all of my drivers. After I downloaded all of the updates from Microsoft, the same problem happened. My CPU usage went way up to 100%. So I tried to reformat it again myself and it was all fine until I downloaded the updates from Microsoft again. The same thing happened with the CPU usage. Plus it takes a long time for XP to load now. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not suppose to download the updates?

Geoff

VIP Member
Just to make sure, when you go to the performance tab, is it at or near 100%? Or are you referring to a process called the System Idle Process thats near 100%?

Primex

No, the svchost.exe is 99. I know the System Idle is suppose to be 99. Maybe this is because I only have XP Pro SP1. I tried downloading SP2 from their site last night, which I was able to do after 2 hours but when I tried to install it, it just froze for 6 hours in the same spot. I had to restart my computer this morning and it looks like it's trying to download it again (according to the icon in the taskbar)

Primex

Go to the task bar at the bottom of the page right click and click task manager. Then look at the processes tab.

Ok, so I just realized, that when I installed XP, it didn't ask for my product code or activation code, is this a problem?

evo3

Thk you Primex for your help i found it.
Just a question i found that my cpu usage is between 7% to 12 % is this normal, thks