X2 overclocking problem...

Dual_Corex2

banned
Well, my X2 used to overclock like a dream, as in my sig iv gotten it to 2.8GHz stable without a problem. After running it at its stock 2ghz for a while now, i want to start running it at about 2.4ghz, so i tried to first run it at 2.2ghz and while booting i get the error that it cannot find a windows file and its either missing or corrupted.

I re-booted about 3 times and gave up and finally set the clocks back to 2ghz and it booted fine.

I know my PSU is crap, but is it really this bad? Its the only thing i can come up with, but ill be able to test this theory with my new 550watt Antec PSU.

Does this sound like a PSU problem? If not, what could be causing this? Iv never had this problem before....

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
sounds like you dont have your multipliers locked on your mainboard and the higher FSB frequency is sending your sata controller haywire. If you do have your multipliers locked there is a known issue with some chips that the multipliers dont work properly at all frequencies; try pushing past the speed you're at now to see if that helps your situations.

Dual_Corex2

banned
I can adjust the multi. And i leave it at x10. It used to be fine at 2.8ghz. But now it wont go past 2.10ghz. I think im giving up on OCing it.

Although, it maybe the SATA drive, as i believe it was with my PATA drive that i achieved the 2.8ghz....

Dual_Corex2

banned
hi,
what settings on your motherboard did you use to get such a high overclock speed? thanks

I had to run my ram on a divider and i used a single 512mb stick of DDR500 gamer ram from PNY as it was the only ram i have that will OC to 250mhz stable @ 2-3-3-7 my XMS ram doesnt OC at all. Here are some old screens i had when it was OCed:

Geoff

VIP Member
Dual-Corex, just to let you know you should edit your sig.

Your processor is running at 2.8Ghz with a bus speed of 280Mhz, not an FSB of 280Mhz, lol. If that was the case, you would have an insanely slow processor.:p

Dual_Corex2

banned
[-0MEGA-];653683 said:
Dual-Corex, just to let you know you should edit your sig.

Your processor is running at 2.8Ghz with a bus speed of 280Mhz, not an FSB of 280Mhz, lol. If that was the case, you would have an insanely slow processor.:p

Everythings different now, the older versions of CPU-z said FSB. Back in the day, it WAS FSB, what it is now im not sure anymore. I was told AMD doesnt have an FSB anymore, though Intel still does. Its so confusing anymore, i just say FSB.

And how would that be insanly slow? Intel has only reached 266mhz FSB stock im pretty sure....and thats fast.

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
Wrong way round Geoff. For Intel chips, bus speed is 4 times the FSB. From CPU101:
CPU101 said:
As of this time of writing, valid (stock) core/FSB clock values are 100, 133, 166, 200 and 266MHz. When buying a CPU/mobo, often the packaging is purposefully deceptive and you will see stuff like FSB800 or FSB1066 or something to that effect. Those numbers are not the FSB but in fact, are the BUS speeds.

I was told AMD doesnt have an FSB anymore
Correct, AMD uses Hypertransport instead.

Dual_Corex2

banned
Wrong way round Geoff. For Intel chips, bus speed is 4 times the FSB. From CPU101:

Correct, AMD uses Hypertransport instead.

So if AMD is just using that, then what is this "200mhz" i see in the BIOS? Should it just be called the "internal clock"?

Geoff

VIP Member
Wrong way round Geoff. For Intel chips, bus speed is 4 times the FSB.
No, the FSB is determined by the bus speed. It's bus speed x4, which gives you the front side bus speed.
cpupg

cpuz_3.jpg

Praetor is not the "know all" God here, you can't believe everything he says :)

So if AMD is just using that, then what is this "200mhz" i see in the BIOS? Should it just be called the "internal clock"?
The 200Mhz you see is also called the bus speed, but instead of having an FSB they have HyperTransport. So for AMD it's bus speed x5.

Dual_Corex2

banned
Awww damnit, do i need to update my CPU-z again? I have version 1.3.

Thats it, im officially renaming the clock speeds.

From now on, the GHz speeds "2.6ghz, 3ghz" and all that jazz will now be renamed to External Clock (EC)

And the 200mhz stuff is gonna be renamed to the Internal Clock (IC)

Wouldnt that just make things easier? It was easy at one time, then all this new tech came along and f-ed everything up.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Praetor is not the "know all" God here
No he's not. I am :p :D
No, the FSB is determined by the bus speed. It's bus speed x4, which gives you the front side bus speed.
The FSB is not 4x the bus speed. The FSB in that screen shot is 166.3MHz. The rated (aka QDR aka system bus) FSB speed is 665MHz. It doesn't matter what the marketers say.

In any event a FSB has nothig to do with an Athlon 64 :p

edit: you can't always believe CPUz either. It's a good tool but it's not always right. There was a time when it was calling my conroe an allendale.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes, the FSB is 4x the bus speed on any Intel CPU thats not extremely old.

On the Pentium 4 Northwoods, it has an FSB of 400Mhz and a bus of 100. So 100 x 4 = 400Mhz FSB

On the newer P4's and Pentium D's, they had a bus speed of 200 and an FSB of 800. So 200 x 4 = 800Mhz FSB.

On the Core 2 Duo's, they have a bus speed of 266.5Mhz, and an FSB of 1066Mhz, so 266.5 x 4 = 1066Mhz.

Really Cromewell, you should know better :rolleyes:

Dual_Corex2

banned
Now i have to correct you omega. This part i know, P4s im good with. Just oredered another Northwood for my old computer waiting for it to arrive :D

The FSB on P4s IS in fact the 200mhz. The 200mhz x 4 is the bus speed.

The reason they are marketed as "800mhz FSB" im not sure, i think its just a "sounds really fast so it buy it!" scheme.

Northwood cores for life! Best CPU core ever made!!!

Geoff

VIP Member
Now i have to correct you omega. This part i know, P4s im good with. Just oredered another Northwood for my old computer waiting for it to arrive :D

The FSB on P4s IS in fact the 200mhz. The 200mhz x 4 is the bus speed.

The reason they are marketed as "800mhz FSB" im not sure, i think its just a "sounds really fast so it buy it!" scheme.

Northwood cores for life! Best CPU core ever made!!!
I was looking at some CPU-Z screenshots from my P4 2.2, and it in fact did say 100Mhz FSB and 400Mhz bus speed. But Intel never changed their architecture from having the FSB x 4 equal the effective bus speed, to having the bus speed x 4 equal the FSB.

So either CPU-Z read the P4 Northwoods wrong, or it's reading all the current processors incorrectly.

Dual_Corex2

banned
[-0MEGA-];653873 said:
I was looking at some CPU-Z screenshots from my P4 2.2, and it in fact did say 100Mhz FSB and 400Mhz bus speed. But Intel never changed their architecture from having the FSB x 4 equal the effective bus speed, to having the bus speed x 4 equal the FSB.

So either CPU-Z read the P4 Northwoods wrong, or it's reading all the current processors incorrectly.

Its not just the Northwoods, every P4 and to my knowledge, all current Intel CPUs are that way. CPU-z has nothing to do with anything.

Geoff

VIP Member
Its not just the Northwoods, every P4 and to my knowledge, all current Intel CPUs are that way. CPU-z has nothing to do with anything.
It looks like the P4's were that way on CPU-z, but the Core (2) Duo's show the opposite, as you can see in my previous post.

Dual_Corex2

banned
[-0MEGA-];653913 said:
It looks like the P4's were that way on CPU-z, but the Core (2) Duo's show the opposite, as you can see in my previous post.

And thats CPU-z's fault. Intel is still the same as it was in the Pentium days.

Dual_Corex2

banned
But i wanna know how to fix this problem so i can OC again.

If it is indeed my SATA drive, how can i stop it from messin up? It does alert me that a windows file is missing or corrupted when i OC past 210mhz.

Im gonna give it one last shot and see what happens.....

Ok, im at 215mhz with my ram very underclocked at 107mhz @ 2-3-3-8 to avoid ANY problem as my ram DOES NOT OC at all.

When i booted, it was all fine, but while loading all the programs, the resolution on my screen went very low then back to normal again and all is fine now. What coulda caused that?

Going for 225mhz now....

250mhz stable....gonna run some test to be sure its 100% stable...

Ok heres the best i could get for an all around good performance OC:

newoc250ka2.jpg

Last edited: