Xp recovery console, no admin password prompt!

PatPheFox

My system files are corrupted, well not all of them, but as it turns out i need to use xp's rc. i dont need help with the commands or fxing my system files, but when i put my disc in and wait and wait and wait......... after pressing R for repair, all i get is the dos-type screen telling me where i am and letting me type. i will be expecting it to ask me where my os is or for a password and it doesnt, so i start my commands to fix it. ill type "md tmp" AND ACCES IS DENIED

Last edited:

CarlC

My system files are corrupted, well not all of them, but as it turns out i need to use xp's rc. i dont need help with the commands or fxing my system files, but when i put my disc in and wait and wait and wait......... after pressing R for repair, all i get is the dos-type screen telling me where i am and letting me type. i will be expecting it to ask me where my os is or for a password and it doesnt, so i start my commands to fix it. ill type "md tmp" AND ACCES IS DENIED

i think i had that problem,as i tried using repair and it came up with the DOS type screen and said a load of different commands, and i got no where with it, and though "meh s0d this" and just installed XP all over again, so if i was you i`d just backup the stuff you want to keep write down/remember the updates you`d need java etc, and then just reinstall XP.Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

PatPheFox

ya im burning a new copy of repair console then if that doesnt work i guess ill reinstall it. its just i have SOOOO many programs and HUGE games on it, like 345 programs and 50 gb of games :(

kimsland

What exactly do you need to do in the Recovery Console?

To make a directory in the Recovery Console you can either type:
MKDIR
MD
Note: "MKDIR" can only be used to create folders inside the system folders of the current installation of Windows, and therefore most users will just normally use "MD" (and its less letters to write)
Examples:
MKDIR c:\windows\mynewfolder
MD mynewfolder

You must have Administrator privilidges to create New Folders in the Windows system folders, and this may be the issue that you are having.
To log on to the Recovery Console you also need to log on the Administrator account

PatPheFox

ok thats didnt work, didnt really expect it to though. is there a way to fix it without deleting my games, there are about 3 games on it with cd keys i dont have, the key is on the game and i could get it but only if i can start up the os

What exactly do you need to do in the Recovery Console?

well i need to delete and copy some system files, but since it does prompt me to give the password and wont let me i cant get admin acces to do that

Last edited:

kimsland

well i need to delete and copy some system files, but since it does prompt me to give the password and wont let me i cant get admin acces to do that
Oh, you don't know the Admin Password?

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought they would combine, oh well

PatPheFox

Oh, you don't know the Admin Password?

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought they would combine, oh well

no i no it. i dont have one, its blank, though it should still ask me for the partition number and admin pass,

will the repair install get ri of my programs?

and also, this is a noob question, but i wanted to just get some things off my hd for the time being and i cant seem to figure out how to slave it. im running off an IDE with windows 7 rc and trying to slave a sata. will i need to be using jumpers on the sata, cuz i cant set the IDE as my 1st prioritty boot drive, i wanted to get around using jumpers if i can cuz i cant find them

Last edited:

kimsland

No, Repair will not hurt your Data or programs.

But
If you are Repairing with say an XP SP1 CD, and some of your programs require XP SP2 (or SP3) then you will need to update the Service Packs
As the only issue that a Repair causes is that it will remove all Service Packs and Security Updates back to the time of the original Windows CD (that and you'll need to re-activate again)
And that's all

PatPheFox

well, when i press enter all i get is a list of the partitions, and the option to install ontop of my os format my disk, and partition my unpartitioned space

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, sounds like your Windows or file system got pretty darn corrupted, which is weird because the recovery console runs off of the XP CD.

Are you using XP Home?

PatPheFox

Yes but he can't seem to log on to the Recovery Console to do any of that
What exactly happens when you select the Administrator account anyway?

i cant select it, it does ask me, but i do try, ill tpye 1, "command not recognized" then ill jst press enter because i dont have a passwork and it does help

tlarkin

VIP Member
i cant select it, it does ask me, but i do try, ill tpye 1, "command not recognized" then ill jst press enter because i dont have a passwork and it does help

Hmm very strange, going to make some assumptions/guesses here and let me know if I am warm or cold on these.

1) You are not using a legit copy of Windows

2) Your CD is scratched, or scuffed, or somehow defective

3) Your hard drive may be failing (or extremely corrupted) and it can't read or mount your current file system

4) Your keyboard is janky, and it is not inputting the proper keys.