Xp recovery console, no admin password prompt!

PatPheFox

Hmm very strange, going to make some assumptions/guesses here and let me know if I am warm or cold on these.

1) You are not using a legit copy of Windows

2) Your CD is scratched, or scuffed, or somehow defective

3) Your hard drive may be failing (or extremely corrupted) and it can't read or mount your current file system

4) Your keyboard is janky, and it is not inputting the proper keys.

1)i wouldnt say its not legit, its from an hp that failed.

2 my cd is brand new, they are burned and i even burned a new one jst to be safe

3 cant be sure,

4 maybe, its not new but its not old either and its in good physical condition

heres what its says

FIRST I PRESS R

"MICROSOFT WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE

THE RECOVERY CONSOLE PROVIDES SYSTEM REPAIR AND FUNCTIONALITY, somthing

TPYE EXIT TO QUIT THE RECOVERY CONSOLE AND RESTART THE COMPUTER

and blank from there

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
1)i wouldnt say its not legit, its from an hp that failed.

OEM software can only be installed on the machine it shipped with or is bound to. That is why the license is cheaper. HP and every other company batches their recovery disks together, they also may leave things out like recovery console.

2 my cd is brand new, they are burned and i even burned a new one jst to be safe

Where is the original? Burned disks still have a rate of failure, and I typically like to use the real actual media.

3 cant be sure,

Is there any data on here you must have?

4 maybe, its not new but its not old either and its in good physical condition

Easy thing to test is to swap out the keyboard, only takes a few seconds and it will tell you if that was the problem or not.

kimsland

heres what its says

FIRST I PRESS R

"MICROSOFT WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE

THE RECOVERY CONSOLE PROVIDES SYSTEM REPAIR AND FUNCTIONALITY, somthing

TPYE EXIT TO QUIT THE RECOVERY CONSOLE AND RESTART THE COMPUTER

and blank from there
Can also be faulty data cabling to the HardDrive or CD Drive
Can also be faulty PSU (Strange I know, but faulty power supplies can cause strange issues)

PatPheFox

im using an image of the full retail on 3 burned cds, and 2 diff images. ya theres data i need. i jst swaped the keyboard and thats not it

PatPheFox

Can also be faulty data cabling to the HardDrive or CD Drive
Can also be faulty PSU (Strange I know, but faulty power supplies can cause strange issues)

i changed all my sata cables,

i just want to know how to slave my hard drive so i can get my data, im jst gonna wait till windows 7 comes out and install that.
my problem is that it wont let me boot from my IDE and always puts my sata first, jumpers?

kimsland

You can use another BootCD like Live Ubuntu CD or something
Or you could mount your Sata Drive into another working computer as the secondary drive

kimsland

Ok you're downloading Live Ubuntu
By the way, when all this is up and running again you may want to create UBCD4Win BootCd, but you need a working Windows (or CD) first (better to create this with a working system actually)

Then if you have any faults again one day, you can just use that one (much better ;))

UBCD4Win: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post732467-1.html

PatPheFox

Ok you're downloading Live Ubuntu
By the way, when all this is up and running again you may want to create UBCD4Win BootCd, but you need a working Windows (or CD) first (better to create this with a working system actually)

Then if you have any faults again one day, you can just use that one (much better ;))

UBCD4Win: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post732467-1.html

im thinking of just getting all my data and formatting it, loading windows 7 rc on it and then loading the actual windows 7, cuz i got it pre ordered, that sound like a good idea?, ya i no the beta is supposed to stop working but u can crack it

kimsland

Well the Beta being RC will actually continue to work for a while anyway
But if you're installing the bought "Upgrade" Windows 7 then you may as well put Vista (or XP or whatever you originally had on it) And then wait for the authentic Windows 7 Upgrade Disc and install that.

What all this really means is that you don't want to hold much Data or Programs on your computer presently, as you may end up wiping the lot anyway.