xp service pack 2 no good..?!? (oem and other bad stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly man 2

i heard that the OEM wont allow new mobos and whatnot.
i do plan on replacing parts, wel cause they do get old and outdated so i do plan replacing a mobo ir processor in time.
now is service pack 2 bad for this or i dunno...
should i go professional?

Geoff

VIP Member
OEM just comes with the CD and CD-Key, its the exact same thing as retail except it doesnt come in a box or with a manual.

Dilly man 2

oh, then wtf was this guy talking about...

N/A, 10/7/2005 8:32:52 AM
Read the EULA
The difference between OEM and Retial is the End User Liscense Agreement. OEM means that once you activate XP on a computer, that version of XP is "BOUND" to the hardware. If you try and upgrade your motherboard, that is considered a new computer, and OEM won't activate. Retail will allow you to change hardware all you want with no annoying EULA issues from Microsoft.

so this one is the same as the oem verson, only not oem?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116194

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I have an OEM copy of windows xp home, and i've installed it several times on 2 differnt machines without a problem. I;ve also upgraded parts (including the motherboard) in the computers, re-installed windows, and it worked! The only thing is, it only allows you to activate it so many times in a certain period, but thats the same with retail or OEM versions.

Curt

geoff5093 said:
I have an OEM copy of windows xp home, and i've installed it several times on 2 differnt machines without a problem. I;ve also upgraded parts (including the motherboard) in the computers, re-installed windows, and it worked! The only thing is, it only allows you to activate it so many times in a certain period, but thats the same with retail or OEM versions.

Unless of course you activate over the phone, which I have done a few times but of course, do so at your own risk (for what little risk is actually involved) since it's technically "illegal" although, I don't think it should be illegal. I bought the CD I should be able to do with it as I please. But that off-topic rant aside, changing a motherboard usually means a windows repair at the least because it is setup for the old hardware, then a lot of times you will have to reactivate windows because after so many hardware changes mircosoft wants you to reactivate (I assume to protect theft of the OS, as if you had just copied an entire hard drive onto another and essentially you were stealling it.
Blah blah, I am just blabbing again.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
A perfectly good thread ruined by the same of talk about using a Microsoft OS on multiple machines and finding ways around activation....

Do I really have to post AGAIN telling you to read the forum rules?

..I guess so...

Read the forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.