xp uninstall

gino555

i upgraded my tiny laptop to xp but it stopped connecting to any wireless networks so i thought the best way to resolve this is unistall xp and reinstall BIG MISTAKE !! now it is telling me files are missing and wont load windows or even boot from the xp disk it tells me to scan reg but when i type in scanreg it tells me bad command i cant even get in to the BIOS witch i think is F2 but not sure

Can any body help

Thanks

Gino

codeman0013

Ok so gino what i gather is your trying to boot to the windows xp cd and it wont? Have you changed your bios to boot from the cd? If you can get this to boot then you should do a repair using the repair option after booting to the cd it will ask you which version you want to log into type 1 enter then at the command type chkdsk /r and let that go for a while and see if it helps you.

PC eye

banned
When you decided to upgrade to XP presumably from 2000, ME, or 98 you first needed to download updated drivers for XP. That right there prevented you from connecting to the wireless networks being referred to. At this point without having a working copy of Windows running before deciding to delete system files you will probably have to delete the current partition.

A repair install of XP would be the thing to try under other circumstances where XP was installed to a fresh partition initially. The first thought here is to simply clear the cmos by removing the battery. That will give you a fresh setup screen to change the boot order after setting the time and date. For instruction on installing to repair, http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

gino555

I have now f disk the hard drive and formated the drive, how do i install windows back on the lap top i have tfied to put windows 2000 and xp back on but it says this will not run in dos

Please help

Gino

PC eye

banned
That's your problem right there. Neither 2000 or XP run in dos since they are NT cored OSs that mainly run on NTFS type partitions. The installers on the newer versions of Windows require either a working copy Windows for an upgrade or you boot from the installation cd itself to start the install process.

Once you either assign the cd drive as the first boot device in the bios or press the assigned "F" key to see the boot menu where you choose the cd drive you simply follow the onscreen instructions. Since you used fdisk to reformat the drive you probably now have a Fat32 partition there. When the installer shows option to install to the partition detected you would then choose the delete option to remove the current. From there you choose the setup Windows now option when seen to have the installer create and format a new primary for the installation to proceed.

gino555

thanks for the reply i am a bit confused as i am not getting no install option's,
i have lost the orriginal recovery disk that come with the pc, would it be easier to buy a copy of 98 install that and up grade to xp as my xp wont boot?

thanks

timothyb89

Your CD drive should be the first/second boot device if you formated you only partition. If it's not bootable, then, well, (stating the obvious) it won't boot, and will skip to the next device.