Which version is better overall?

• Windows XP

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 41 85.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

premierxxx

Will windows 7 hog more RAM and VRAM than xp?

Yes. For XP with present apps 1 GIG is enough. For 7 equivalent of 1 gig in XP is about 3 GIGs. Though, memory is cheap nowadays.

Why don't you download a trial version. All CDs/DVDs of 7 and Vista allow 30 day use without activation.

One more thing, keep in mind that NSA back door. In general press it's numbed down by converting the subject from back door to security cooperation. Just a military tactic of denial. This basically means same people who we trust with no flight list and numerous innocent citizens on it (1 mil+) are now have access to our files and what we do.

Bodaggit23

Yes. For XP with present apps 1 GIG is enough. For 7 equivalent of 1 gig in XP is about 3 GIGs. Though, memory is cheap nowadays.

Why don't you download a trial version. All CDs/DVDs of 7 and Vista allow 30 day use without activation.

One more thing, keep in mind that NSA back door. In general press it's numbed down by converting the subject from back door to security cooperation. Just a military tactic of denial. This basically means same people who we trust with no flight list and numerous innocent citizens on it (1 mil+) are now have access to our files and what we do.

Lol

anbo369

who cares if the NSA have access to your computer, i mean for starters i live in Australia, so i should be fine.
but unless your plotting a terrorist attack or you look uber suspicious their not gonna wanna look at your computer.
I would imagine it would take quite a while to look through every ones computer for small things like piracy so they probably won't be looking for anything except security threats and the works.

anyway that's just my opinion

G25r8cer

Win 7

Much more features and options. More security and eye candy yet, still runs very smooth and is lightweight. My Win7 uses about 700mb ram idle while XP uses about 500mb. I'll give up the extra 200mb for the eye candy and go with Win7.

Mattu

I thought this might be the right place to ask this instead of starting a new thread, but is Windows Vista as bad as the infamous Windows ME in terms of memory usage and stableness?
The reason being is because I'm getting a laptop with Vista Home Premium already on it and just wanted to know if it was that bad :(

Mattu

^I guess I'll have to make the best of it then :(

I hope it's a bit better with sp2 installed...

Bodaggit23

The reason being is because I'm getting a laptop with Vista Home Premium already on it and just wanted to know if it was that bad :(

It depends on the specs of the machine.

Vista is rock solid. Sure there were some issues when it first released, but they're long gone.

I guess I will wait for windows 7 to become secured and solid before upgrading to it. I still have the horrible image from vista last time I used it for my CAD class.

ScottALot

Sometimes Win 7 takes less memory and CPU usage to run than XP... usually during tasks that take a toll on your hardware.

Gooberman

Lol xD
funny :D i bet i could take a stick out right now for 1gb and 7 will work just fine :)

and for the rest i roflol'd at it

Drenlin

XP is old...Win7 is much more advanced, stable, and secure, and will provide a generally less annoying experience. Heck, I'd take VISTA over XP. Running it now, actually.

Of course, I'm prejudiced...I went straight from Windows 98/ME to Vista...never really used XP much till about 3 months after Vista was out. I remember running my mouse around the screen like it was on crack closing the thousands of bubbles and dialog boxes that popped up, and fumbling my way through the start menu while cursing the lack of a search function. Then, I plugged my cell phone into the usb port and had to close at least 7 different bubbles as it installed the drivers and told me my usb ports suck. Those were very bad times...:(

Last edited: