xp(x32) to win7(x64) issues

stratocaster27

Hey everyone,
I am currently trying to clean install win 7 on an xp machine, but I encounter an error after the first setup finishes. Boot and everything works ok past the "loading setup files" section. After the loading the files, the setup does not continue after the second blue installer screen (flowery normal win7 screen). I get the cursor loading for a sec, then nothing happens.
Got xp 32-bit atm, but im trying to install the 64-bit win 7. Is there some important step I'm missing here? Or should i even be trying to run the 64, and just go with 32?
Any help is much appreciated~

The specs in question:

XP Pro SP3
AMD Athlon 7750 2.7GHz x2
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP
Kingston 1x2GB PC2-6400
Radeon HD5770
WD 1TB SATA
WD 80GB IDE
550w logisys PSU

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect any extra hard drives from your system. I noticed you have 2 hard drive listed. Also disconnect any external devices besides keyboard and mouse. Then try reinstalling.

Do you plan on upgrading the memory to 4gb or more?

stratocaster27

Will give her a go and report back~
Don't know if i should be investing into any more upgrades on this rig, seeing as ddr2's are pretty overpriced, and the mobo is pretty old.

stratocaster27

Yeah that's not a bad deal. Haven't checked the prices in a while, since i have 8gb of ddr3's layin' around anyway, i wanted to put the funds into a new mobo/cpu.

I'm still getting the same problem as before though, still stuck on the second install screen. I tried both drives separately, and unplugged everything non-essential.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a valid windows 7 install cd? Or is this a burnt copy? Are you sure the hard drive is not failing on you?

stratocaster27

No i wasn't using the original win7 cd. The ide HD with xp is pretty old, so it could be giving out. Just got the sata one a few months back. Not sure why it didn't work on its own.