“Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer hardware.”

urbanfleming

I'm new to your forum and I bet some of you have had the same issue I'm facing. I decided to do a clean install of windows 7 64 bit on my Gateway SX2801. The first error message I get is- “Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.” Then I get a loop of error messages that say- “Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer.”

I've tried:

1. Adjusting the BIOS settings
2. Resetting CMOS
3. Adjusting the settings in msconfig and restarting

I've had no luck with this. Should I buy a copy of Windows 7 64 bit and hope it fixes it? It seems the Gateway recovery DVDs are bloated with stuff I don't need and could be causing the problem.

Your help would be great.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I'm new to your forum and I bet some of you have had the same issue I'm facing. I decided to do a clean install of windows 7 64 bit on my Gateway SX2801. The first error message I get is- “Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.” Then I get a loop of error messages that say- “Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer.”

I've tried:

1. Adjusting the BIOS settings
2. Resetting CMOS
3. Adjusting the settings in msconfig and restarting

I've had no luck with this. Should I buy a copy of Windows 7 64 bit and hope it fixes it? It seems the Gateway recovery DVDs are bloated with stuff I don't need and could be causing the problem.

Your help would be great.

What BIOS settings have you changed?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Test your RAM and HDD. It's possible one or the other could be bad.

urbanfleming

Try using the recovery partition. It's honestly an easier option than using the disks anyway. Here's information about it.

I think this is for Windows XP. I do not have an option at any point to select R to start recovery. The Gateway disks that start Gateway recovery Management does not give me any advanced options.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Well, I meant the "Do not press F11 as it will start the Recovery System" Something like that. Nearly all laptops have a recovery partition. You, just have to find the right keystroke. Your's might be R, or F11, F10, Ctrl + F10 (or F11), etc.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
In BIOS I changed SATA Mode from AHCI to IDE and tried the process again.
What are the best ways to test those two?

Download Hiren's Boot CD. Burn it to a disc and boot to it. You can test the memory with Memtest86+ from the main menu.

To test the HDD go under DOS tools, then Hard Disk Tools. I usually start with Seagate SeaTools to see what make the HDD is. If it isn't seagate, then just reboot to the CD again and select the correct make.

Hiren's can be downloaded here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

urbanfleming

Well, I meant the "Do not press F11 as it will start the Recovery System" Something like that. Nearly all laptops have a recovery partition. You, just have to find the right keystroke. Your's might be R, or F11, F10, Ctrl + F10 (or F11), etc.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I did that and it did the same thing the recovery disks did. I forgot to mention it's a desktop but I'm not sure if that matters.