0.98GB of ram??

dboy000

when i open up system it says i have 0.98gb or ram but i am definitely sure i have 2x512mb sticks in there so it should be 1024mb. why does it say i only have 0.98gb? or do i have faulty ram?

patrickv

no your ram is in perfect shape, thats how windows reads the system memory, i have 1512MB and windows sees 1.50gb, odd, and if you have a 512mb windows will read it at 480 sometimes.
correct me if am wrong but thats the way i see things

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
no your ram is in perfect shape, thats how windows reads the system memory, i have 1512MB and windows sees 1.50gb, odd, and if you have a 512mb windows will read it at 480 sometimes.
correct me if am wrong but thats the way i see things
Thats because 1536MB is exactly 1.50GB. 1536/1024 = 1.50GB. I'm assuming you meant 1024 + 512.

The reason you have 0.98GB is most likely because you are using onboard video, which uses some of your RAM.

elitehacker

Yeah integrated graphics steals some of your system ram. But then I think there is something wrong with the counting system in XP, I have 1GB of ram and a 7900GT graphics card, and it shows 0.99GB of ram. Its all correct though in Vista Ultimate.

2048Megabytes

I have an onboard video card that uses some of my system memory. But it only uses about 66 megabytes.

There are video cards integrated with motherboards that use about 500 megabytes of Random Access Memory? That is losing a large amount of memory to video.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have an onboard video card that uses some of my system memory. But it only uses about 66 megabytes.

There are video cards integrated with motherboards that use about 500 megabytes of Random Access Memory? That is losing a large amount of memory to video.
Yours most likely uses 64MB of your system RAM, and they have integrated cards that can have up to 512MB shared.

tyttebøvs

there are some small memory holes in the lower region where ram is lost. If the isa hole is enabled, another meg is lost there

raoul_1101

[-0MEGA-];791824 said:
Thats because 1536MB is exactly 1.50GB. 1536/1024 = 1.50GB. I'm assuming you meant 1024 + 512.

A GB=1024 MB? i always thought it was a perfect 1000 MB

Last edited by a moderator:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The edits you see is me fixing the messed up quoting.

I think it's most likely onboard video taking ~20MB, I'm not sure if there are enough/large enough holes to explain it. But whatever the cause is and as others have said your RAM isn't faulty.