1 modem, 2 routers

flametail

How do I go about setting this up? I have:

Motorola Surfboard Modem
D-Link DGL-4100 (Site)
D-Link DIR-628 (Site)

If anyone can tell me the settings and how to route the cables or show me a place to look it would be GREATLY appreciated. I really need this to work otherwise my mom is gonna be kinda pissed from having to unplug one to plug up the other.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
what kind of setup are you looking for and how many PC's are you looking to connect?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You need the primary router to run DNS and DHCP and the secondary router just be a repeater on the network. Then you need to either have them running cable from one another or set up what is called a wireless bridge using WDS.

Your routers must support all those features as well.

flametail

I will be running a minimum of 2 computers and 1 xbox and a max of 4 computers and 2 or 3 xboxs. I may have fixed it but I would still like input...and please put it in n00b terms due to me knowing pretty much nothing. lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
I will be running a minimum of 2 computers and 1 xbox and a max of 4 computers and 2 or 3 xboxs. I may have fixed it but I would still like input...and please put it in n00b terms due to me knowing pretty much nothing. lol

You will have to understand basic networking for me to explain it to you. Can you describe in detail or put up a pic of your network. Use a lot of details and explain exactly how it is all set up.

flametail

it's working now and seems stable but here is how it is set up:

Motorola Modem --> D-Link DGL-4100 --> D-Link DIR-628 (Connected using ethernet cable from DGL LAN to DIR WAN)--> splits off for to xboxs and computer.

Any more details needed? I used the settings from this site.

tlarkin

VIP Member
it's working now and seems stable but here is how it is set up:

Motorola Modem --> D-Link DGL-4100 --> D-Link DIR-628 (Connected using ethernet cable from DGL LAN to DIR WAN)--> splits off for to xboxs and computer.

Any more details needed? I used the settings from this site.

can u draw a schematic?