10.59v ?

ProgMtl

When running PC Wizard 2007 it says that my 12V is running at 10.59V...this sounds like it's not good to me...is it?

All the other voltages look okay, I think.

Voltage CPU 1.37V
Aux. 1.60V
+3.3V Voltage 3.31V
+5V Voltage 5.21V
+12V Voltage 10.59V

Geoff

VIP Member
Sometimes Windows apps dont always show the correct readings. Restart your PC and boot into the BIOS, there should be a hardware monitor that will show you the voltages.

ProgMtl

the BIOS shows all the voltages EXCEPT the 12V....but all the others match exactly as to what I posted above

ceewi1

VIP Member
10.59V is far too low. As Omega has said, software readings aren't always reliable. If you have a multimeter, it would be a good idea to check the voltages with that.

What sort of PSU do you have? What are you powering? Have you been experiencing any problems (e.g. random restarts, etc...)?

ProgMtl

I do have a multimeter...where exactly would I put the contacts to check it?

I have a 550w Logisys PU (I know it sucks)...I haven't been experiencing any restarts but it will just freeze up at random times and I have to reboot.

I'm powering an ATi X1300 512mb graphics card, (2) BenQ DVD drives, a Western Digital 250gb HD (and just purchased a Maxtor 500GB sata drive...building another system and need to get my 130gb of music off the current on), and 3 80mm case fans.

Went to Fry's yesterday and purchased a Thermaltake Toughpower 700...got home, installed it (routing all the wires neatly, etc.)...only to have it cut out before it completely booted my system...kept trying to get it to work...it stayed on less & less until it finally died (never got to see whether the voltage changed)...put the old PS in and it's been running all night.

Fry's sells some good name PS (I have the good/bad list from this forum) and I figured this would solve the problem...I know it was way overkill for what I need in that system (new one will need much more power)...when I go back to Fry's today I make just get a little smaller PS but still make sure the brand is up to par (the Thermaltake weighed 4 times what the Logisys does...it was pretty amazing to realize that).

ceewi1

VIP Member
Instructions for measuring voltages with a multimeter are here: http://www.computerforum.com/57912-test-your-psu-voltage-rails.html

Basically set your multimeter to a 20V scale, connect the positive terminal to any yellow wire and the negative terminal to any black wire.

You seem to have received a defective PSU with that Thermaltake. They're usually quite reliable, but unfortunately each and every brand will have DOA units.