100% cpu usage

Castle

Can anyone tell me why is the friendster website drawing 100% of cpu usage whenever I browse through some people's website with some flash images of themselves? I can see that the cpu usage drop to less than 10% the moment I browse away to another website but the cpu rises to 100% immedaitely whenever I visted back to the same website again just by clicking backward and forward?
I am very sure it is not due to any background programs because the moment I browse away from the website, the cpu returns to nomal usage percentage.
Anyone can shine some light into this thread?
Thanks.

Hmm.. have you attempted a virus or spyware scan? If you have neither, AVG offers both for free.

It could just be your CPU i suppose.

You need to provide more information.

What version of Windows are you running? SP1 or SP2? What Browser are you using and what version is it? Have you updated your Windows with all the latest patches from MicroSoft? What is your system configuration? CPU/MoBo/RAM/HDD?

I have the same issue. Here is the specs on the computer

Biostar P4M900 Micro 775
160 G HD
2.8GHZ
1GB ram
Not sure on the CPU chip set.

I bought this thing cheep (hint hint) for my kid to have a computer to play on the Nick Jr and PBS Kids like sites, but everything we go to those sites the CPU Usage is stuck at 100% all of the time. Know I have herd the flash thing uses a lot, bit this is a brand new computer with nothing on it at all. I am using XP Pro with SP2. thanks for any input

Trying disabling these services see how it goes:

Start-->Run, type in "services.msc" without the "" then hit enter to bring up the Services window. Look for the following services and disable them in the General and LogOn tabs:

Fax
Indexing Service
Messenger
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
QoS RSVP
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Routing and Remote Access
Task Schedular
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet
WMI Performance Adapter

Thanks, 99% of those on the list were already off. I turned off two and not really and change. I will keep looking. Does it look like I need a faster chipset? They put the Intel Celeron D Processor. 2.8GHz, 533 MHz FSB & 256 KB L2 Cache Chip. Is that a good chip?

Trying disabling these services see how it goes:

Start-->Run, type in "services.msc" without the "" then hit enter to bring up the Services window. Look for the following services and disable them in the General and LogOn tabs:

Fax
Indexing Service
Messenger
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
QoS RSVP
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Routing and Remote Access
Task Schedular
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet
WMI Performance Adapter

Last edited:
Gotta make sure under "LogOn" tab @ "Profile 1" is showing as "Disabled" as well.

You don't need a faster CPU, that is not the problem. My aunties' 12 year-old Celeron 1GHz never did that unless running a game. And the mobo is "Azza" that had long gone out of business.

Something is hogging the CPU, I suggest you check the Processes that are running.

I believe th flash images themselves are to blame. I didn't notice it the first time through but he specifically mentioned it happening on Flash oriented pages. Flash and video can kill CPU usage.

There are add-ons of firefox that allow the blocking of Flash video, I suggest looking into that.

Only running one profile. There are 25 processes running right now. Firefox Jumps around, taskmrg jumps aqroeund at 3-10%, system Idle jumps around at 88-94% and ecplorer.exe has about 3%. The site that it is the worst is playhouse Disney and a few of the other kids sites. It is like every move I do takes up all 100% cpu, just moving the mouse around firefox it used like 95%, but also jumps back down when I stop. I have two other computers hooked up to my network and non of them do this.

Gotta make sure under "LogOn" tab @ "Profile 1" is showing as "Disabled" as well.

You don't need a faster CPU, that is not the problem. My aunties' 12 year-old Celeron 1GHz never did that unless running a game. And the mobo is "Azza" that had long gone out of business.

Something is hogging the CPU, I suggest you check the Processes that are running.

a celeron d 2.8 should run that with ease i mean a celeron d 3.33 with a radeon 200m onboard and 512mb ram on low settings run battlefield run it with no lag.

Did you see any Process that is abnormally large in size and jumps up and donw? Say, one that jumps between 13,000kb ~ 24,000kb or the like? If no, try the following:

=======------------------
1)Turn off the background programs that are running one at a time(IE, Firefox, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google...etc.)and see if one of them is hogging the CPU. If not, on to #2..

2)Close all programs. Go to Control Panel-->Folder Option-->View, check "Show hidden files and folders", then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected system files". Then go to this location and delete everything in there:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Logon Name\Local Settings\Temp\ and when this is done, reverse the Folder Option. Now perform a System Cleanup and let it delete/compress everything it finds, follow by a defrag. Reboot. If problem persists, on to #3..

3)Unplug the network cable and see if it stops. If it does then it most likely means that computer's security has been breached and a thorough scan/analysis/cleanup are required. If not, on to #4...

4)Your CPU temp maybe too high and that can cause it to throttle down its core speed in order to maintain a temp that is tolerable to the limit. Check your CPU/MoBo temps. If too high, take out the CPU heatsink/fan and all other system fans and clean them thoroughly. Clean off all the dust as well. After you removed the CPU heatsink, check the thermal grease on the CPU to see if it's pretty much dried up. If so, you will have to re-apply it and I recommend using Arctic Silver5.

I have somewhat found out the causes not just too long ago after posting this thread. All the high cpu usage appears to be the nature of the website's flash program. It was actually caused by the __________ program that allows people to share their favourite photo album in flash animations along with music, videos and word tags that they created along with their friendster media settings.

Note: __________ program is basically a free program that people use along in their personal customisation for blogs, websites etc.
I felt that there is nothing to blame on them and let us just hope that they will update their websites accordingly with the latest patches so as to reduce the usage of system resources.

Update your Browser's Flash plugin. I use Friendster and Myspace and I don't have that problem...nor on my aunt's dinosaur Celeron 1GHz...

Back