100% cpu

farmvillebill

Dell Dimension 2400 (Probably about 6 or so years old)
winxp

All I ever use it for is to keep quicken on and go to the bank to check my statements online. No web browsing at all on it. It worked just fine, then the next night we started it up and it was extremely slow. I noticed the CPU was at 100%. The cooling fan works as I can hear it run and I did replace it about a year ago. The inside is very clean, no dust at all. I use Avast antivirus and it was running. Then we tried to connect to the internet and it would not go. I went to MSCONFIG and made sure there was nothing running that was not needed. I finally gave up and re formatted the HD using Darin's Boot and Nuke first. It still does the same thing. I even turned off automatic updates figuring that may be slowing it down, but no luck. I thought maybe it was avast because it seemed to act up just after installing it and could not un install it. I had to download a program to get it off my pc. Still the same thing, web browser hangs up, and anything else on the pc is real slow.

Now I did hear where electronics grow these microscopic "Hairs" between connections which in a sense short circuit the circuits.

Maybe its just time for a new PC?

Last edited:

thegear025

Your computer is old, trying to run what I would assume newer software. I would use a better antivirus ESET NOD32 is the MOST EFFICIENT antivirus you can get. None the less your PC is old but the AV is the most importent software you will put on your PC so make sure it is an efficient one.

jonnyp11

hit control alt delete then go to the processes tab and click on the usage filter so it lists them by what is using the most cpu, then just tell us what is, but do not end it unless you know what the exact program is and that it isn't necessary, otherwise you might screw something up.

jonnyp11

do you have any windows disks or restore disks or any of that stuff, it sounds like you need to repair your windows to me, but i'm not an expert on that but it can't hurt it, and if you don't have a copy ask someone cuz any copy will work.

farmvillebill

Still BS. Tried using google chrome and it hangs, tried IE but my bank dont support that version so I try to download IE8, bout half way through the CPU jumps up and I cant download anything or surf the web.

jonnyp11

again, i think you may want to look into finding your or borrowing a friends windows disk and then you need to try to restore your windows or repair it or whatever, it doesn't affect your file i think, and should fix the problem i believe.