$1000 MC System

Steelshivan

Need to build a new system and wanted my budget to be around $700. Lately have been thinking $1000 is maybe a better idea, so I specd out a system for $1000 or less. Let me know what you think, want to make sure there are no conflicts with components.

This system will be mainly for media center use, along with dual-booting Vista and Linux. Will be doing little gaming with this system, if any. I realize the 8600GT's performance in new demanding games like Crysis - and that performance is enough for me since I don't plan on playing any newer games.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $119.99

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel $99.99

XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $85.99

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 1062 MCE Kit Tuner Card w/MCE Remote - Retail $86.99

BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX 12v 2.0 / EPS 12V Power Supply - Retail $79.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $199.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail $84.99

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM $6.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.99

2X Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.98

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM - OEM
Model #: DVD-E616A3T OEM $18.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM $26.99

Subtotal: $990.87

daisymtc

Mobo: Get GA-EP35-DS3L instead! It is just $90

GPU: 8800GS is just $100, worth considering

PSU: Not sure if you really need 650W, but with that price, no argue

RAM: Not sure if you really need 4GB, 2GB is usually enough

HDD: Why do you want 3 HDD? The P35-DS3L not support RAID, Why do you get 2 X 160 GB? Also, some ppl say WD SE series is not really good, but entirely up to you.
I personally will get 2 x Samsung 500GB.

myPCrocks

Go ahead and laugh.

If you have 130.00 to waste on the CPU by all means do it. Myself I would rather buy the less expensive one and EASILY OC it to what you are paying more than twice as much for.

As for the case, go ahead and drink the Koolaid.
The case I recommended is a cooling machine, totally silent the way it is, cable management is a no brainer ( can easily hide ALL the wires ) and the ease of swapping drives rather HDD or CD/DVD is childs play. Removable MB tray is a plus.

Keep laughing.

Last edited:

Steelshivan

myPCrocks -

1. There are plenty of cases in the ~$100 range that would work just fine. Since I want my case to last for a long time AND look good doing it, the 900 is what I'm going with. I could care less about sound, and to be honest, would actually prefer more sound over little...but that's not really possible nowadays. Btw, I am using a P3 733 system right now...and it's loud. Not the kind of loud you wimps talk about regarding newer, much quieter systems. But ACTUALLY loud.

2. Since I would like this system to last quite awhile before an upgrade and I'm also not a huge overclocker (at least until I need to push more out of my PC), I decided the E8400 was the way to go.
-----
Now, I will gladly entertain advice on anything to change, but your posts that don't tell why are ridiculous. Just telling me to change something (let alone something that is stupid to change in the first place) without a reason to back it up will receive zero attention from me.

I swear, this forum has gone downhill in the few yrs since I posted here regularly with a diff name. If Praetor was still here he would whoop some ass.

My tip: Back up any and all mindless advice that is nothing but your opinion with actual facts. Until then a lot of you look like idiots.

lovely?

myPCrocks -

1. There are plenty of cases in the ~$100 range that would work just fine. Since I want my case to last for a long time AND look good doing it, the 900 is what I'm going with. I could care less about sound, and to be honest, would actually prefer more sound over little...but that's not really possible nowadays. Btw, I am using a P3 733 system right now...and it's loud. Not the kind of loud you wimps talk about regarding newer, much quieter systems. But ACTUALLY loud.

2. Since I would like this system to last quite awhile before an upgrade and I'm also not a huge overclocker (at least until I need to push more out of my PC), I decided the E8400 was the way to go.
-----
Now, I will gladly entertain advice on anything to change, but your posts that don't tell why are ridiculous. Just telling me to change something (let alone something that is stupid to change in the first place) without a reason to back it up will receive zero attention from me.

I swear, this forum has gone downhill in the few yrs since I posted here regularly with a diff name. If Praetor was still here he would whoop some ass.

My tip: Back up any and all mindless advice that is nothing but your opinion with actual facts. Until then a lot of you look like idiots.

m8 us idiots know what parts go together the best, and come out with the most frames per second. the processor is expensive and the video card is a piece of CRAP. you dont want it, because for the 130 dollars you are gonna spend on a whisper quiet case, you could get that very NICE lian li case and a better video card, but if you want to waste your money and continue to call knowledgeable people idiots, you can leave. we have done this countless times.

EDIT: and praetor is still here, i just responded to one of his posts.

Last edited:

Steelshivan

1. I don't want that Lian-Li case. I also happen to want the Antec 900 case. Period.

2. This system will not be for high-end gaming. Thus, why buy an 8800GT or similar when it is only a waste of money.

3. I want some components to be nicer than others. Sometimes price figures into it, other times it doesn't so much. Essentially this is a custom build. Just BC i feel like spending $200 on a cpu or $120 on a case doesn't mean I need to spend XX amount on a video card just because. Obviously I mean to tailor the system to my needs AND wants.

4. As far as I'm concerned, quite a few posters that have replied to me ARE idiots. Not necessarily because of their lack of hardware knowledge, but due to their support to go with their advice and fashion of responding. If you don't like my opinion, I could care less.

5. I have no more use for this thread, and apparently never did. I gained exactly zero decent advice, and unconsequential, opinionated advice at best. I am far from a newbie when it comes to building systems, and it might have been a bad idea to post this build here in the first place. Consider this thread over.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hm a loud media center PC..nice..

Other than that, the original configuration looks pretty nice, although I'm not a huge fan of the 900 (I know you want a louder computer, but just clearing this up for others, the 900 is not quiet by any means).

Also, why that PSU? Your system won't be drawing anywhere near that amount of power. A Corsair VX450 would do nicely.