1000w psu

HappyZion

I just purchased a used computer off of craigslist. He had this 1000W PSU inside but the parts inside looked like they didn't even require 600W. I think this is the one in his setup: http://goo.gl/dVNC1p

It's a Rosewill Continuous. I may have a misconception on how PSUs work. Will my electricity bill increase from this monster? Should i downgrade to a 600W? What is the benefit of having so much wattage?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually with that high of a power supply, the machine is running 3 or more high end video cards and a lot of other accessories like led lights, things like that. Would need to know what the pc has in it. The computer will only use as much power as it needs. But its not good to run a power supply at only 50 percent or lower of its rating. You want it to run about 80 percent to be efficient.

HappyZion

Thanks for the swift response! It only has one video card: XFX RADEON Double D R9 280X. There are very minimal LED lights and one HDD.

Okedokey

Agree with John, but don't worry about it. That PSU is a good one and will facilitate higher end hardware in future. Its design will mean that it will run less efficient at 50% load etc, but nothing that will damage anything.