1000w+ Supply Or Disaster Waiting?

Geoff

VIP Member
The only reason you would need a 1KW PSU is if your running dual 8800Ultra's, or some other really high end cards.

Im sure you know, but just because a PSU is rated at 1KW, doesnt mean it's always using that much power.

PC eye

banned
You could run twin 8800s with a 600-700w model and still oc. Just due to the big name doesn't mean some tremendous supply is needed. Generally those are more for bragging rights then actual and pratical application. This article however sums up the things were common sense are needed like not overloading ac outlets with too many things even with power strips. The amerage rating for an outlet will still be the same no matter how many surge protection strips you try and use. You try and pull too much current and ZAP! you will have a bigger problem then the wattage of any supply.

ceewi1

VIP Member
An interesting read. As the article touches on, however, there are a lot of devices that consume more power than a highend PC.

A pair of 8800s alone might not consume that much power, but add a pair of AMD FX-7x series CPUs and watercooling equipment and I have seen 1000W+ AC draws.

Do keep in mind that PC PSUs are rated in DC output, not AC input. If your components are drawing 800W, for example, this corresponds to a 1000W draw from the wall, assuming 80% efficiency.

PC eye

banned
True but overloading is most commonly seen when running too many things on just one ac outlet by itself. Too often it's unintentional as well where people will simply plug in too much without realizing that ac outlets themselves will heatup when too much is drawn through them. But it still is going to take a lot to fully load up a 1000w model supply. That's still over what the average gaming and ocer would see unless...? You know the rest there.

PC eye

banned
someone's got some explaining to do

god that has really got to suck

In what way? The article seen there is pretty well self contained. Generally if you plug in and have too much running on a single outlet even 20amp and push a little too hard a fuse will blow like seen in an old house or a breaker switch will need to be reset. But sometimes just being a little under the trip point with continuing draw will see things heat up without the protection working.

A high end build with a big supply and even adding on external devices to the list can place a good load on ac there. Now add a tv, cable box, air conditioner, or just some other things and leave them unattended. :confused: :eek: Sometimes old wiring just won't take heavy loads in older homes too. There's another thought to consider.

The_Beast

In what way? The article seen there is pretty well self contained. Generally if you plug in and have too much running on a single outlet even 20amp and push a little too hard a fuse will blow like seen in an old house or a breaker switch will need to be reset. But sometimes just being a little under the trip point with continuing draw will see things heat up without the protection working.

A high end build with a big supply and even adding on external devices to the list can place a good load on ac there. Now add a tv, cable box, air conditioner, or just some other things and leave them unattended. :confused: :eek: Sometimes old wiring just won't take heavy loads in older homes too. There's another thought to consider.

sorry the "someone's got some explaining to do" is from I Love Lucy an old TV show

I get the article totally, I saw the same article on Bit-Tech's forums a few days ago

PC eye

banned
Now that's going back some decades even for repeats. Most of those were seen strictly on black+white tv since they were produced prior to 1965.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the article found at other places since it makes some pratical observations. I came across this while actually running a search for something unrelated and simply passed it along here.

The_Beast

it's funny how you find stuff, looking for a new mouse and you find something on exploding PSU and electrical fires :)

zaroba

its not so much the wattage of a powersupply. its the amperage it needs to draw.

when i got a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850watt PSU, it needed a 15 AMP outlet.
thats pushing it for most standard house outlets.

PC eye

banned
Now just imagine someone trying to setup some type of dual 1000w supply deal for a dual SLI setup and four monitors. Place that on a 20amp wall outlet seen with four not two recepticles there. The surge strips added in for everything. That would be close to running four major appliances on the same outlet there. While lcds would see a lower power demand for obvious reasons some diehard gamers still want the crt for the 800x600 screen resolution.

The main ideas in the article surround the concept of simply going too far with what the typical household supplies for ac sources and ending up with bad results. The idea of actually seeing any board with 4 not just 2 PCI-E slots was something someone once suggested as a possible trend while not being reality at this time. But you can see where that would go if only one single supply and one or two monitors still taxes an outlet.