1066MHz RAMBUS RAM

sypher822

i want to upgrade my system memory from DDR to something which runs at higher speed..

i have an amd board which has 1600MHz HTT, and i found this RAM, which to my knowledge is the fastest available..(i'd like to know if anyone knows of something faster)

'512MB RDRAM/RAMBUS 512 MEG 1066MHZ 16BIT'

is this ram compatible with the ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo??

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
nope, AMD only likes DDR RAM. Try looking for PC3700 or something similar in DDR. DDR is getting close to its speed limit hence DDR2 begining to be used, but it's still getting faster (although not at the rate it was 2-3 years ago)

john1979

Put simpley, NO.
Rambus was intended for use with early P4 rig's using the 850 chipset and socket 423. The rig wasn't 2 good and 75% of the time suffered from overheating as both the memory and cpu were to hot when run together.

If i were you i would get some quality PC4000 ddr from Corsair or gell, as this would give the system a real boost, just make sure it has low latencies.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i have an amd board which has 1600MHz HTT
Why are you running it at 1600? It's default is 2000.

and I found this RAM, which to my knowledge is the fastest available..(i'd like to know if anyone knows of something faster
Corsair's DDR550 CAS2

LOL hell no.

sypher822

Praetor said:
Why are you running it at 1600? It's default is 2000.

i have never changed the configuration of the HTT in the BIOS...
so i guess the company that sold me the comp is responsible...i didn't even realize i had a 2000MHz, i just figured they had set it to max.

so i will assume that there is no ram right now that can take advantage of such a high HTT speed??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i have never changed the configuration of the HTT in the BIOS...
Well it defaults to 2000

so i guess the company that sold me the comp is responsible...i didn't even realize i had a 2000MHz, i just figured they had set it to max
LOL dont you hate it when that happens? ;)