1080p via Ethernet

Tomdarkness

Hey,

I have some 1080p content (Around 9000kbps - x264/H.264) on my server (Windows Server 2003) and the server has a gigabit ethernet card (But it only runs at 100mbps due to my crappy router - plan to upgrade to a gigabit switch for the wired computers).

I'm trying to play the files on my desktop PC with a gigabit ethernet port (Again, only 100mbps due to the router) built into the motherboard using VLC media player. It just wont play... the content plays for about the first 5-10 seconds and then cuts out. If I look in the network utilization in task manager its only listed at peaking at around 10% of the 100mbps, frequently dropping to around 5%. If I copy the content to my local hard drive from the server it plays totally fine.

How can I fix the problem so it plays from my server smoothly?

(Oh, forgot to mention. The Windows Server 2003 runs on a VMWare ESXi platform on my server. Other virtual machines include Endian Firewall and Openfiler)

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

d3adpoetic

the fact that its a VM, and its server 03 could be part of it. Server 03 isnt really meant to be an OS for media streaming servers. I recommend a media center OS as the host OS on the server, not a VM.

The 100mbps connection could also be part of the issue, but what i said before i think is the main cause.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are trying to stream the media, set up the server for streaming with IIS or other webserver that supports it. Otherwise I'd suggest copy the videos over so you can watch them.

Tomdarkness

VMWare ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor so the performance impact is extremely minimal.

What do you recommend to stream the media (The streaming services in Win2003 are balls). Also i'd prefer not to have to copy them all over as they are neally 15GB a peice.

the fact that its a VM, and its server 03 could be part of it. Server 03 isnt really meant to be an OS for media streaming servers. I recommend a media center OS as the host OS on the server, not a VM.

The 100mbps connection could also be part of the issue, but what i said before i think is the main cause.

Tomdarkness

I think I might have fixed it (Well from my tests so far, the content plays smoothly).

I altered the registry as described in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

"How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista"

From the default value of 10 to 50.

On the desktop pc running Vista.