12v fans + adaptor?

malmeid77

I have six 50mm fans that are DC 12v. Three of the fans are 0.14 A, and the other three are 0.09 A.

I also have at my disposal a "Belkin Universal AC/DC Adaptor" which has an adjustable voltage switch that includes: 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, 12V, AND a second adjustable switch for polarity which can be set to either positive or negative.

My question is, can I wire up all 6 of the above fans (the adaptor has a 500mA max. current), will it be safe to switch between any of the voltages (and if not, which ones can I use?) and should I use the polarity on positive or negative?

[I'm new to wiring so excuse my newbieness :/ I also wanted to confirm that the black fan wires go to the black side of the adaptor wire, and the red fan wires connect to the adaptor wire with the "white strip" on it?][and also, can I just use good electrical tape as long as I am careful and wrap it tightly, or is soldering needed for this?]

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The total amperages is obviously more than the adapter can handle. It'd work, but probably end up burning out eventually.

As for the wires, the white striped one should be positive, but I always check them with a multi-meter before guessing.