$1500 PC for my Best Friend.

speedx77x

My Best friend came up to me in school today and asked me to make him a $1500 build for him and he would assemble it (Even though he doesn't know how,) never the less I really want him to get into computers and everything, and if i succeed that'll be 1/2 best friends with a gaming PC.

So this is what I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/speedx77/saved/3vka

Please give me any suggestions before submitting this build to my friend.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
It looks very good but I'd try and get 1866MHz memory if you can (usually about the same price or a tiny bit more expensive than 1600MHz) and maybe spend a little less on the CPU cooler and the motherboard so that you can maybe get a slightly higher-end case perhaps? The 300R's a good case, but see if you can get a Phantom or something once you've saved money on the CPU cooling and the motherboard. The ASUS board is a bit expensive - you could save money by getting the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H and I doubt your friend would notice. Cooling wise you could maybe look at the H60 or H80 perhaps, or some of the higher-end air coolers from Noctua.

Looks great though.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Still looks good and no I'd just use the stock fan on the Evo. In fact, unless he is going to overclock, don't bother buying aftermarket cooling at all.

daisymtc

Will your friend overclock his PC? And how often would he buy new PC?

The main reason is you could consider i5 4430 instead if he do not overclock.
To my understanding, i5 would be faster at stock for gaming right now. And it would probably take few years time for games to take advantages of 8 core.

speedx77x

He said he wouldn't be overclocking so I'll take off the EVO, however I still want to keep the 8320 just in case he wants to in the future.

Also, one more question which non-reference 270x would be the best? I never know which know which one to select.

G80FTW

Did RAM go up in price?? I paid $60 for my 12GB of the Corsair Vengeance XMP and I believe that was from Newegg. Dont think it was on sale then....but $100 for 8GB?

spirit

Staff member
Did RAM go up in price?? I paid $60 for my 12GB of the Corsair Vengeance XMP and I believe that was from Newegg. Dont think it was on sale then....but $100 for 8GB?

Yeah had you not noticed? 8GB of RAM used to cost about £40 two years ago (or even a year ago), but now it's more like £70 or so which is what I paid for 4x4GB sticks (16GB) in 2012. :mad:

It's a bit like when hard drive prices inflated a couple of years ago and it was cheaper to buy SSDs for a short period of time. They're now much cheaper again - hopefully the same thing happens to RAM.