1600x900 on a 1080p LCD HDTV?

BurningSkyline

I was curious... how does 1600x900 look on a 1080p TV? 1366x768 and 720p?

I want to build a machine that I can play on my couch rather than at my desk (basically an overpowered HTPC), But I can't decide what GPU To grab. The CPU will be a Tri or Quad core athlon II.

Last edited:

CardboardSword

It probably wouldn't look so hot. Depends on the TV though. I know my TV turns everything purple when it detects a resolution it doesn't support (1080p, 720p, etc). Why not just play at 1080p? Failing that, you'll probably need to resort to 720p so your tv plays nice.

With such high resolutions however, you need a fairly powerful GPU. a 6950 or GTX 560 Ti might be in the performance bracket you're looking at.

BurningSkyline

Due to the fact that the pixels would look stretched? And Could I get some GTX 560 and HD 6870 benchmarks?

It would be interesting if someone tried.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I don't understand why you'll want to run it at that odd resolution. LCD monitors are not meant to run outside of native resolution, so anything other than 1080p on a ful HDTV will look weird.

BurningSkyline

I don't understand why you'll want to run it at that odd resolution. LCD monitors are not meant to run outside of native resolution, so anything other than 1080p on a ful HDTV will look weird.

In case the framerate gets too low at 1080p w/o AA and at Medium-High Settings...

CardboardSword

I'm just pulling card out of the air here. I'm suggesting ones based off what I think your budget is (Since you're getting an Athlon I figure you're at least a little budget minded.). The GTX 560 will play most games out there at 1080p no problem. The 6870 will play a lot of them at that res, but struggle with the most demanding games on highest settings, but should have no difficulties with medium/high settings. The only game I played that I couldn't max out on my 6870 when I had it was GTA IV, and I shouldn't need to explain why.

BurningSkyline

I'm just pulling card out of the air here. I'm suggesting ones based off what I think your budget is (Since you're getting an Athlon I figure you're at least a little budget minded.). The GTX 560 will play most games out there at 1080p no problem. The 6870 will play a lot of them at that res, but struggle with the most demanding games on highest settings, but should have no difficulties with medium/high settings. The only game I played that I couldn't max out on my 6870 when I had it was GTA IV, and I shouldn't need to explain why.

I thought the 6870 was faster than the GTX 560? I must have looked at some bad benchmarks...

Troncoso

VIP Member
My 2 cents, I have a 26" hd tv as my monitor. I tried the suggested resolution(1080p) and everyone is right, if you go outside the suggested resolution, you won't like what you get. Keep in mind I am using an hd 6950 so that's not a problem.

BurningSkyline

Maybe you're thinking of the 6970? Or maybe the GTX 460? It's easy enough to lose track of all the freaking numbers :p The 6950 and the GTX 560 are pretty close.

Yeah, it must've been the 6950. I don't want to spend too much but how would a Phenom II 925 and a GTX 560 work together? I'm afraid a 560 or 6950 is too much for an Athlon Quad. But the 955 is only like $15 more, so maybe just get that.

EDIT: Can you still unlock a 6950 to a 6970?

CardboardSword

Yeah, it must've been the 6950. I don't want to spend too much but how would a Phenom II 925 and a GTX 560 work together? I'm afraid a 560 or 6950 is too much for an Athlon Quad. But the 955 is only like $15 more, so maybe just get that.

EDIT: Can you still unlock a 6950 to a 6970?

I haven't heard you can't unlock them anymore, I've just heard that AMD is trying to do something about it. Your chances are still pretty good of getting an unlockable card, but they aren't the sure thing that it used to be. If the budget allows for it I would definitely invest in the 955. Not only will it overclock much better, but it will also be faster clock for clock.

CrayonMuncher

My 2 cents, I have a 26" hd tv as my monitor. I tried the suggested resolution(1080p) and everyone is right, if you go outside the suggested resolution, you won't like what you get. Keep in mind I am using an hd 6950 so that's not a problem.

Yeah same it support most below 1280*720 up to to 1080i (cause of my tv)
However my tv looks best on 1360*765 usng a vga cable, the pictures not as smooth using the hd cable (good quality cable btw)

BurningSkyline

Thanks for all of the Input everybody. But I am still not sure to do.

I prefer Nvidia Graphics Cards, but I am willing to go for AMD cards. (I use vReveal a LOT.)

Now I guess I need to put the system together. All I have to work with is about $725. (I need a monitor for non-gaming/video watching use.) That leaves about $600 for the system itself. By the time I get another $500 it will be September, probably after Bulldozer is out. I could ask my parents for savings money, but I don't want to. It looks like a Phenom system won't be possible under this budget. Considering the prices are going down I might have to consider last-gen hardware.