16A on 12V Rail?

Bobo

banned
It isn't necessary, I ran that same computer with a slightly less powerful GPU on a 350W 16A PSU (and still do, with no problems)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Better safe than sorry, getting a new one would be of your best interest. But, I've also ran a computer similar to that with a 300watt 17 amp PSU, but only for a short period before i bought the antec 500watt.

Geoff

VIP Member
It should be fine for your system, however if you decide to upgrade to a more powerful video card you deffinetly will need a new one.

bumblebee_tuna

Ya, another thing is the card is hooked up to the bottom of the rail and I heard somewhere the bottom of the rail gets even less amps or something, like it's less reliable....

bumblebee_tuna

Another thing is..... I'm looking at this BFG PSU and it says it has a lifetime warrenty.... So will I never have to buy another PSU?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Another thing is..... I'm looking at this BFG PSU and it says it has a lifetime warrenty.... So will I never have to buy another PSU?

No, it probably means that if the PSU ever malfunctions on its own, they'll fix/replace it. It doesn't mean that if you need a better one they'll upgrade it, thought that'll be nice :rolleyes:

pbdr

One suggestion: Get a power supply that has modular cabling. This allows you to only hook the cables you need up to both the PSU and the components.

It saves a lot of room in your case and helps airflow; my CPU temp dropped 3 - 4 degrees when I switched to a modulr supply.

Here's the one I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182027) I like it, but there are many good ones out there.

bumblebee_tuna

Thanks for the suggestion but my case is too cramped for moduler cabling because the optical drives are next to the PSU..... Idon't know, I guess you have to see the inside of a Compaq.....

pbdr

Thanks for the suggestion but my case is too cramped for moduler cabling because the optical drives are next to the PSU..... Idon't know, I guess you have to see the inside of a Compaq.....

My new (modular) PSU fits in the case better the previous one. Your case may be different, but less cabling should mean less space required.

Linderman

the PSU you linked shows no efficiency rating so I am leary the efficiency rating is a big aspect of evaluating the quality of a psu

I think you would be far better off with an Antec True Power-2 550 for around $99.00 @ newegg

or better yet get the 535 watt enermax for 99.00

bumblebee_tuna

I think I'm going to get the BFG becasue of its lifetime warrenty. I would seriously would never have to upgrade to another PSU with that much wattage....