16x dvd+r on a 8x dvdr?

fparas

i normally use 8x sony accucor dvd+r but the store ran out and decided to try the 16x. it made a lot of noise... then the burn stopped. i went back to a different store and bought the normal 8x that i usually get. now the drive won't even read any cd/dvd!!! what to do now?!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Typically you can't burn faster than the disk is rated for. If you were allowed to do so, I wonder if the drive was on it's last leg. Perhaps if you burned at any other speed, it would of died then as well...you just happened to try at some other speed :p

I assume the drive still shows up? Do the disks spin up and everything when inserted? Have you tried to boot to a CD using this drive?

fparas

I assume the drive still shows up? Do the disks spin up and everything when inserted? Have you tried to boot to a CD using this drive?

1. what do you mean by the drive showing up? if you mean in "my computer", yes, it's still there.

2. the disks do NOT spin when inserted.

3. i haven't tried booting with a cd considering #2. if i were to boot with a cd, what cd should i use?

kof2000

there are disks that can be burned at faster speed. i remember back when 16x speed drives just came out and people were using 8x ritek discs to burn at 16x but of course you will need to find the right batch of discs, not all riteks work.

fparas

i have an HP pavilion slimline s7400n pc. how would i go about just replacing the drive? what product search do i do? i'm looking for 8x or 16x cd/dvdr drive...