17" or 19" LCD Monitor??

mcyi9ky2

hi all...i have been thinking of whether getting a 17" or 19" LCD monitor :rolleyes: (standard 4:3 not wide screen)...but i dont know whether my display card (geforce 2MX 440 64mb) will able to run the 19" (use 1024*768 resolution or may be higher..dont know).....:confused:

pls help...thx thx

p.s. my comp spec is on my signature

Geoff

VIP Member
Both the 17" and 19" use the same resolutions, so it wont be any more taxing on your card. I would recommend running at 1280x1024, since it's the native resolution.

I used to have a 19" LCD, and it is much better then a 17". So I say if you can afford the 19", go with it.

google your graphics card, it well tell you the max resolution/bandwidth
His card can support a resolution up to 2048 x 1536@75Hz

_simon_

I upgraded from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD, it makes such a big difference even though the resolution is the same.

Ruffy

go 19. in my case bigger is better but then again bigger isnt better. its like this. 19 is the best monitor you can get for in game. if you get anything bigger you have to turn your head just to see the whole screen. anyhow 17s are to small.

heyman421

banned
i was a die-hard 5:4 monitor fan, but i recently went against my best judgement and decided to try out a 20.1" widescreen 16:10

it's no taller than a 5:4 17" monitor, which i thought might be a pain, but the increased width of the screen is a blessing once you get used to it.

Never having to scroll to the side is awesome, especially for the details view in windows explorer, where there's just never quite enough space to be able to view all the info you want at the same time.

20.1 16:10 and 19" 5:4 are about the same price, and about the same screen area, it may be worth your while to take a look at a few before you purchase.

Geoff

VIP Member
i was a die-hard 5:4 monitor fan, but i recently went against my best judgement and decided to try out a 20.1" widescreen 16:10

it's no taller than a 5:4 17" monitor, which i thought might be a pain, but the increased width of the screen is a blessing once you get used to it.

Never having to scroll to the side is awesome, especially for the details view in windows explorer, where there's just never quite enough space to be able to view all the info you want at the same time.

20.1 16:10 and 19" 5:4 are about the same price, and about the same screen area, it may be worth your while to take a look at a few before you purchase.
Where are you getting 5:4 from? Standard 15, 17, 19, etc LCD's are 4:3.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As others said, the size of the screen really means nothing. Many 19" monitors still run at 1280x1024 which is the same as many 17" monitors. Even if it's higher, I'm quite sure you're GPU will handle it just fine. Now don't plan to play games at such high resolutions, but within windows it should be fine.

heyman421

banned
[-0MEGA-];544276 said:
Where are you getting 5:4 from? Standard 15, 17, 19, etc LCD's are 4:3.

Maybe you should use a calculator before you give me shit.

1280/5*4=1024

way to be a dick and spread misinformation simultaneously

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Maybe you should use a calculator before you give me shit.

1280/5*4=1024

way to be a dick and spread misinformation simultaneously

Assuming your using 1280x1024, but what if hes using 1024x768?

1024/768 = 1.33 = 4:3
1280/1024 = 1.25 = 5:4

It could go either way.

SubDude199

Come on.. you spend may hours infront of this screen.. dont strain you eyes.. get a 23".. I use a 23" when im at my desk and a 110" when im in my recliner!.. if you ever want to really apreciate a big monitor switch to a 15" for a few days then switch back.!

like alot of things - Bigger is better

sirmixalot42691

definently go with the 19". the pricing difference between a 19" and 17" is not that much so I think its worth it. but why not widescreen?

mcyi9ky2

definently go with the 19". the pricing difference between a 19" and 17" is not that much so I think its worth it. but why not widescreen?

personally i dont really care about the wide screen or standard 4:3 model....although it is true that someone said wide screen is better (such as word processing, play game and watch movies, etc)...but i also read some reviews said some games and vga cards dont support wide screen....so i just stick with the standard ones (i.e. 4:3)......may be i am a conversative person :rolleyes: no offense :cool: