1GB to 2GB make a diference?

TonyBAMF

Am I to expect a raise in frame rate by doubling my ram?
if yes, what % am i looking at on average?

going from:
1GB Corsair 2.5Cas (2)512MB

to:
2GB Corsair 2.5Cas (4)512MB

Geoff

VIP Member
Depends how much is being used now, if you only have less then 80mb free when you play games, then you will notice a difference in games. But if you have several hundred mb's available, you wont notice a difference.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
With 2GB, the real difference will be seen with the newest games which actually like having more than 1GB. However in most cases, you will most likely not see a huge difference at all and in fact, I would say that you would not see anything. LOL.... it would be much better investing into a better graphics card instead in my view.

JAN :D

Trizoy

VIP Member
I recently went from 1gb to 3gb and there is a difference in the FPS. The Steam video performance test went from 94.6 Frames per second to 114.. But the computer feels a little more rounded.. 3gb is fun..

tweaker

VIP Member
2GB is nice cause you don't have to worry so much on what you've got running in the background when you fire up a demanding game. I had a usage of ~1300MB the other day running FEAR.

TonyBAMF

FEAR apeared to be wanting more RAM, Or so I think, Around the corner a 1-2 second pause awaited me. (everything maxed out). Medium runs fine.

Call of duty 2 (buying tomorow), which was another reason for bringing up this thread.

ckfordy

banned
geoff5093 said:
Depends how much is being used now, if you only have less then 80mb free when you play games, then you will notice a difference in games. But if you have several hundred mb's available, you wont notice a difference.

where do you go to find out how much ram the computers using

gamerman4

where do you go to find out how much ram the computers using

If running Windows XP:
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Go to "performance" tab
Under "physical memory"
It says how much you have total, how much available, and your system cache size.

ckfordy

banned
gamerman4 said:
If running Windows XP:
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Go to "performance" tab
Under "physical memory"
It says how much you have total, how much available, and your system cache size.

it says that i have 522316 total
available 238384
and system cache 290280
it says physical memory (K) does that mean kilibytes and why doesnt it show it in megabytes and how much is it in megabytes

tweaker

VIP Member
First Method:
Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and click on the 'Task Manager' button on the Windows Security dialog.

Second Method:
Right click on the Windows taskbar and chose 'Task Manager'

Third Method:
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC and the 'Task Manager' will be launched instantly.

Edit: Should have hit refresh.

I originally had 512 in my computer and did some decnet gaming on low settings. i started playing lineage 2 and dual boxing so i needed more memory. I got 1 gb of the crucial value memory, and then like a month later went with 2 gbs...and i hafta say this game loves lots of memory especially when playi at once. Also i do video editing and ots of phtsop stuwith big filesand i never notice any real lag problems due to having lots of stuff open.