1st Attempt Computer Build

Tiesto

Hello im currently doing research in what components to put into a $3000 Gaming Computer.

I was thinking of going SLI with the ASUS A8N SLI with dual 6800 GTs but ive heard otherwise by some posts on this forum and from others. Considering that I wont be building this computer till May.. Should I not consider SLI yet but leave it for the future? If so most likely be running a single 6800 Ultra but I would like to be ahead for now so I wont have to worry about updating for a while.

Also this is what I was thinking so far

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD 64 FX55 CPU
WD 10k RPM 74 GB Raptors x2
ASUS Dual 6800 GT
1 GB OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC3200 (x2 512)
OCZ Powerstream 420W PSU
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case

Im planning on putting in water cooling but have no idea which system to go with or what to expect lol :confused:

Also any recommendations on like tools for the job cause besides a friend helping me over the phone im pretty clueless on building this computer.

Any completely different ideas for this build is also welcome... gladly appreciate any other ideas and tips.. btw the games i play are like HL2 Raven Shield WOW etc :D

Last edited:
if you want the best quality of sound, I would recommend:
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

Have 2GB OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC3200 (x2 1024)

Also, AMD Athlon 64 os a good choice, but I'd go for an AMD Opteron

tomprice43

well id definatly go for a AMD FX-55 for the CPU

you could go for dual 6800 in sli but if your not building it until may if may be worth looking into ATI multirendering and getting 2 X850's.

linkin

VIP Member
The 6800gt is a bit old. My radeon x1650 beats that, but thats beside the point. Go for Geforce 8 series minimum, or ati equivalent. Wouldn't bother with water cooling, but thats my opinion.

bcoffee20

The 6800gt is a bit old. My radeon x1650 beats that, but thats beside the point. Go for Geforce 8 series minimum, or ati equivalent. Wouldn't bother with water cooling, but thats my opinion.

duude this is ancient. from over 4 years ago why bring it up now

2048Megabytes

Yes, please look at dates before you post replies. People who originally started the threads are not even reading what you are stating.

Mez

Stop reviving old threads. You are doing this on purpose, I saw the other threads you revived too.