1TB DVD from an israleian company ???

Zatharus

VIP Member
Damn is this the end of blueray too...since we have no HD-DVD anymore

Eventually perhaps, but adoption of that standard will be quite a few years out. IBM had developed an 8-layer florecent dye based through-recordable and multi-bit (depth) readable media about ten years ago I think. We haven't seen that on the market yet, and I believe it was in the hundreds of gigabytes. I wonder if this is the result of the continued development of that idea. Mempile has a way to go yet - especially to get it to market.

Heh, Toshiba was back at it a few months ago touting a new "HD" DVD format yet again. That was supposed to be a new "competitor" to Blu-ray, but apparently they have no intention of releasing it outside of Asia.

Aastii

VIP Member
Eventually perhaps, but adoption of that standard will be quite a few years out. IBM had developed an 8-layer florecent dye based through-recordable and multi-bit (depth) readable media about ten years ago I think. We haven't seen that on the market yet, and I believe it was in the hundreds of gigabytes. I wonder if this is the result of the continued development of that idea. Mempile has a way to go yet - especially to get it to market.

Heh, Toshiba was back at it a few months ago touting a new "HD" DVD format yet again. That was supposed to be a new "competitor" to Blu-ray, but apparently they have no intention of releasing it outside of Asia.

The IBM one didn't take off because it doesn't have a catchy name :p

DVD=:good:
blu-ray=:good:
8-layer florecent dye based through-recordable and multi-bit readable media=fail

thandakid

banned
I havent used any kind of disc since past 1 year since i owned an external hard drive so i dont think it will make much of a difference for me and neways the disc will be expensive

realmike15

i doubt any disc based media format is going to succeed. we're moving to a flash memory based era. i see one of two things happening.

1. (more likely of the 2) everyone moves to an internet download based movie purchase and rental. all major players start producing ready out of the box HTPC style players that play all downloaded content for you.

2. (maybe a transitional change before #1) movie purchases and rentals use some sort of flash device, in order to rent and buy movies. these usb style devices are plugged into your HTPC style player and played directly from the device.

i wouldn't bother with blu-ray, it's just not going to be around long enough. the real limiting factors right now seems to be knowledge building HTPCs and home internet connections. as soon as the major players (Sony, Samsung, Denon, etc) start making HTPCs, and our home internet service reaches new standard speeds that everyone can afford... the portable disc based media content we know now will be dead.