1TB Fusion drive versus 1TB hard drive worth extra cost?

Robertedison

I’m getting an iMac system to complete my network system and I don’t know if a fusion drive or a hard drive will make enough difference in performance to verify extra cost.
Has anyone used both and can tell that much of a difference or is it more marketing trickery to get deeper in your wallet?

Agent Smith

It largely depends on your application. What kind of stufff do you do on the PC? What kind of "network system" is this? Why not just buy a full fledged SSD instead of a hybrid HDD?

is it more marketing trickery to get deeper in your wallet?

Tell you the truth. With SATA III it's incredibly fast no matter the drive. I mean, you may not even notice a difference. Other than boot up. Everything else is just a numbers and brag game. I can tell you that a SSD does offer some increased punctuality when opening an application. If your application involves a lot of hard drive usage and hard drive speed is a necessity, then a SSD or hybrid drive would prove useful.

I'll add that SSDs are great for laptops, especially if they came within a slow 5400 RPM drive from the begin with. The chief benefit with a SSD in a laptop is that it's virtually shock proof from drops and bangs compared with a mechanical platter.

Last edited by a moderator: