1TB Hard Drive stopped, this fell out when open.

I just opened a 1TB hard drive that had quit working and this fell out. This is only the second HD I've opened up just to see the operation. this one was making a weird noise that I had not heard before.
I usually just toss the HDs but this was my first TB drive.
I've enjoyed taking things apart since I was little just to see what's inside. Lucky my father didn't spank me just for wanting to see how thing work. I'm 68 and I still take thinks apart, only today, I repair them and I'm at a 90-95% success rate.

I was wondering where the little pad is supposed to go inside the TB drive. Could it be the reason for the strange noise?

Any ideas?

I just opened a 1TB hard drive that had quit working and this fell out. This is only the second HD I've opened up just to see the operation. this one was making a weird noise that I had not heard before.
I usually just toss the HDs but this was my first TB drive.
I've enjoyed taking things apart since I was little just to see what's inside. Lucky my father didn't spank me just for wanting to see how thing work. I'm 68 and I still take thinks apart, only today, I repair them and I'm at a 90-95% success rate.

I was wondering where the little pad is supposed to go inside the TB drive. Could it be the reason for the strange noise?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    530.9 KB · Views: 11

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's just a filter used to collect dust that may come in through the breather hole in the drive casing.

JaredDM

If you're curious as to where to put it back this picture can help:
HDD-Filter.jpg

That one was from a really destroyed hard drive where the surface was scratched off. The red arrows show where it goes in the drive.

However given that you've opened the drive, and I assume not in a proper HEPA clean room, you should throw it away. It can't be trusted now that it's been contaminated inside.