1TB Internal vs External Hard Drive

Should I get the WD Blue or keep the Passport Ultra?

• Return it and get the WD Blue.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Keep the WD My Passport Ultra.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Liamcal

This year for Christmas I had asked for the WD Blue, the one terabyte (internal) hard drive that is notorious for being both inexpensive and good.

My mom and brother scooped a "WD My Passport Ultra" which is a one terabyte hard drive... but it is external. They said we could return it since they were confused on what I had asked for, and I said sure.

In a few days we are gonna go return it and pick up the Blue, but the more I look at the Passport, the more I like it. It utilizes USB 3.0, so it is fast (for USBs), and it looks really nice and portable.

I intend to use either of them for video storage and some game file storage, so I assume that an internal one would be better, but something about this Passport is captivating me.

I'm wondering: should I stick with the Passport (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...0-hard-drive-black/9028431.p?id=1218971610403) or go with the Blue?(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...339&cm_re=wd_blue_1_tb-_-22-236-339-_-Product)

Thanks, and happy holidays! :D

beers

Staff member
Up to you.

The internal should be faster for data on the outer edge of the platter as the platters are larger as well as a higher spindle speed (7200 Internal vs 5400 External)

spirit

Staff member
You might be able to open up the Passport and take the disk out of the enclosure and then use it as an internal HDD. Looks like it's 2.5" so you may need a drive bay adapter.

strollin

You might be able to open up the Passport and take the disk out of the enclosure and then use it as an internal HDD. Looks like it's 2.5" so you may need a drive bay adapter.
That's certainly possible but, if he's going to do that, then he might as well return it and get the internal.

OP - How do you currently backup your system? IMO, external drives are best for backups.

Do you have other computers? Externals are great for sharing stuff like videos with multiple computers.

If you already have backups covered and don't need to share with other computers then get the internal, otherwise get the external.

tremmor

get internal for backup and storage. if ya need or want portability get a flash drive usb3. stick it in your pocket. make sure it supports OTG also. getting bigger now and faster. they work well also. also a time and place for both.

Last edited: