2.1 speakers and sound card for a laptop

spamdos

hmmmm the truth is that laptop sound is quite apalling generally, but you will not NEED a sound card for 2.1 speakers, however if you want nice sound you will WANT them. i think that you would be better off with the entry level external sound card from creative (forget which). and if you are looking at some 5.1's logitech has some from 50 dollars to THX standard ones up to 400 odd.

Motoxrdude

ok, i have a IBM thinkpad T42 and was wondering what speakers to get,

i was thinking klipsch promedia 2.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836119101

do i need a sound card for these klipsch? i've heard you do for the 5.1, which i may decide to go with

if so what is a good laptop sound card for these speakers?

You dont need a 5.1 sound card. A regular stereo sound card will work with 5.1 surround sound speakers, but there will only be two channels, right and left. A 5.1 sound card however will have 5 channels, middle, left, right, left back, and right back.
If you do decide to get a sound card, i would get one that fits in aa expansion slot or a usb one.

spamdos

the external ones should be better value for money, but obviously they arent too good for travelling

spamdos

its the audigy notebook 2zs i think, anyway it is quite expensive, and probably not worth it depending on the speakers you want