2 550ti vs 1 560it?

Aastii

VIP Member
For power draw and heat, I would take the 560Ti. The 550Ti SLI will perform better than the single 560. What will the card(s) be used for, and at what resolution?

Aastii

VIP Member
A single 560 Ti will be enough for HD gaming, but, as I mentioned produce less heat and use much less power than 2 550's would do, even if performance is less, though in real world, you are only looking at more 9-10 fps. Now that could be a game breaker if you are at 40 fps rather than 30, however both options are able to get constant 60+ fps at max settings, so it will handle everything now, and you will be able to SLI later, or sell the one card and go to a better card in the future.

Is your power supply enough to handle it all as well?

Last edited:

bigmac9787

nothing is set in stone yet im still trying to sort out all the pieces. I was just browsing newegg.com and noticed the 550ti was about half the price of a
560ti and the 1st think that came to mind was "hey I can get 2 of thoes for the price of 1 of thoes" and here we are lol.

I will probally end up getting the 560ti to save some cash on the PSU I have my heart set on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10521304&PID=4169961&SID=1ug5lsqu42tsx

Aastii

VIP Member
Then the majority of this forum has been suggesting too powerful power supplies.

I've not seen anyone ask for 2 550Ti's before. People that say about, for example 570's in SLI, the cards alone are pulling nearly 500W, factor in the CPU, you have yourself ~600W before anything else is put in, so saying 750W gives the extra headroom for OC the video cards too and to not have the unit pushed right to the limit

6950's in CrossFire will be pulling ~400W, so, with overclocks, you are looking at 550-600W for just the cards and CPU, so again it allows for every other component, and then a bit of headroom.

So in some circumstances, 750W is a reasonable suggestion if you are running in SLI or Crossfire

Troncoso

VIP Member
I've not seen anyone ask for 2 550Ti's before. People that say about, for example 570's in SLI, the cards alone are pulling nearly 500W, factor in the CPU, you have yourself ~600W before anything else is put in, so saying 750W gives the extra headroom for OC the video cards too and to not have the unit pushed right to the limit

6950's in CrossFire will be pulling ~400W, so, with overclocks, you are looking at 550-600W for just the cards and CPU, so again it allows for every other component, and then a bit of headroom.

So in some circumstances, 750W is a reasonable suggestion if you are running in SLI or Crossfire

He's right mate. Even if you weren't over clocking,you don't want a power supply that is constantly under full load. That's not good for the psu. Either way, we don't recommend these power supplies just because they are 750w. Even if you just based it off aastii's numbers you would have to have an amazing 650w to power that. To have one that efficient would probably cost more than the 750w's that give a bit of headroom.

tech savvy

Nivdia recommends 700w with atleast 47 amps to run SLI 560's,thats with no OC. I would say a good 750w PSU will give you ample power with some head room.

What Troncoso said, "you would have to have an amazing 650w to power that. To have one that efficient would probably cost more than the 750w's that give a bit of headroom."

Aastii

VIP Member
Nivdia recommends 700w with atleast 47 amps to run SLI 560's,thats with no OC. I would say a good 750w PSU will give you ample power with some head room.

What Troncoso said, "you would have to have an amazing 650w to power that. To have one that efficient would probably cost more than the 750w's that give a bit of headroom."

Recommendation is not a requirement. They, like everyone else, Nvidia knows that the majority of people on this planet run poor power supplies, and that the majority of power supplies are not happy running 24/7 on 100% load for a long period.

750W for SLI'ed 560 Ti's is not a requirement at all. The TDP of a 560Ti is 170W.

2 of those, 340W

add in a CPU, that is ~450-460W

Add in everything else, that is, at most 550-600W

That is a full 100W under the 700W you mentioned. If you plan on keeping system power usage around that level, you are better off having a quality 650W PSU for the sake of efficiency

tech savvy

Recommendation is not a requirement. They, like everyone else, Nvidia knows that the majority of people on this planet run poor power supplies, and that the majority of power supplies are not happy running 24/7 on 100% load for a long period.

750W for SLI'ed 560 Ti's is not a requirement at all. The TDP of a 560Ti is 170W.

2 of those, 340W

add in a CPU, that is ~450-460W

Add in everything else, that is, at most 550-600W

That is a full 100W under the 700W you mentioned. If you plan on keeping system power usage around that level, you are better off having a quality 650W PSU for the sake of efficiency

Im not saying 750w is recommended, but as in; it will give him/she some room to expand and not worry if he/she going to over heat/blow the PSU from the stress of load on a 600w PSU.Also, im not saying a 600w PSU wouldent power the two 560's, just saying its better to be safe than sorry.

Aastii

VIP Member
Im not saying 750w is recommended, but as in; it will give him/she some room to expand and not worry if he/she going to over heat/blow the PSU from the stress of load on a 600w PSU.Also, im not saying a 600w PSU wouldent power the two 560's, just saying its better to be safe than sorry.

I agree, however I would rather not get a 750W. I would sooner have a quality PSU at 80-90% load (like a 650W) than a decent 750W at 75% load for, as I said, efficiency. The good quality unit will not have any problem with being at 80-90% load for a long period, and you get more efficiency at around 85-90% than you do at 75 for the majority of units

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just realized/found out the 560ti has higher wattage then the 6950. For some reason I thought or assumed it had a lower wattage.