2.66GHz 330 Intel Celeron D

Bramp

Emachine computer with 2.66GHz 330 Intel Celeron D

CPU-Z says my mother board is:

chipset: intel i845G rev B!

southbridge: intel 82801dm (ICH4)

sensor: ITE 1404

question is...

I want to upgrade this machine so i can play games on it? what othr chips can i get if any?

thanx.....

Geoff

VIP Member
That doesnt tell us the type of motherboard you have.

If you have a Celeron D, then it should also be capable of running a Pentium 4, go to the CPU section and see what socket your cpu is.

Bramp

Unfortunately I do not see CPU Socket in CPU-Z… Is there something I am missing here? Or is it called something else? Sorry for not knowing much.. I am just a lil new to all this....

[-0MEGA-] said:
go to the CPU section and see what socket your cpu is.

Bramp

Thanx for your replies OMEGA and PALMMANN...

Im starting to figure out how this works... :cool:

so I paid $400 for the computer brand new a year ago, and it looks like I can turn it into a game machine for another $400/$600 making the total around $1,000 You can't buy gaming machnes of the shelf for that can you?

Bramp

wait a sec.... would I have to buy additional stuff for the upgraded chip? Like a fan ect, or could I use the original?

Geoff

VIP Member
Bramp said:
wait a sec.... would I have to buy additional stuff for the upgraded chip? Like a fan ect?
what cpu are you looking at getting? They should come with a fan and thermal paste.

Also, what video card do you currently have?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I think your motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but open up and check. Also, I think your computer has 512mb ram so i would upgrade that to 1 gig, pretty cheap upgrade.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
thats an old motherboard it will play games ok but keep in mind it can't take real fast ram. If you want a decent AGP based board (keeping s478) that holds PC3200 look for an 865 based board.

Sophocles

VIP Member
Bramp

Make sure that our board is not a integrated video only board. In order to upgrade you need at least a free AGP slot. Many loiw priced systems comes with onboard video and no open slots for upgrading.

Bramp

If I remember correctly AGP slots is the longer black ones, and PCI is the white ones... I only have the white ones...

Does this mean I can not upgrade the video ram?

Also I have 256ddr sdram, and one open slot... am I only able to double it, or could I add another 1gig?

Sophocles said:
Bramp

Make sure that our board is not a integrated video only board. In order to upgrade you need at least a free AGP slot. Many loiw priced systems comes with onboard video and no open slots for upgrading.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you only have PCI slots then it wont be that great of a gaming machine, i would look into what cromewell suggested (new board).

Clutch

banned
If it is Socket 478, I would definately reccomend something along the lines of a Pentium 4 Northwood core (C revision).