2 8800gts(320) Vs 8800gtx (sli)

eric92park

Both from XFX or ASUS(I don't know which is better)

[2] 8800GTS (320MB) {SLI Enabled- Of course}
VS
[1] 8800GTX (768MB)

On ASUS Striker Extreme (nForce 680i-SLI)
4GB 1066MHz(Corsair Dominator)
Intel Core2 Extreme Quad 2.66GHz
Which is better, I really dont get the SLI thingy its confusing me :confused:
So I decided to ask...

Geoff

VIP Member
I'd say that two 8800GTS's would be better performance wise for most games, but there are always games that dont take advantage of SLI to well.

elitehacker

Some games actually run slower with Sli enabled, but I guess its consider a bug and a patch would be released. I would imagine two 8800GTSes in SLi should be around the the same if not marginally better than an 8800GTX. I would still prefer a single 8800GTX though, its cheaper (I don't have to buy a SLi motherboard and two cards) and uses less power which means I don't get a nasty surprise in my electrical bills. :D

curtains

I'm pretty sure the 8800gtx would PERFORM better... SLI is overrated and only really good for when you want to play games in high res and high frame rate. doesnt really increase performance, or well i guess you can say it increases performance in situations of hi frame rate and resalution..

but I personally would go for the 1x 8800gtx

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure the 8800gtx would PERFORM better... SLI is overrated and only really good for when you want to play games in high res and high frame rate. doesnt really increase performance, or well i guess you can say it increases performance in situations of hi frame rate and resalution..

but I personally would go for the 1x 8800gtx

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/413/8/

even the difference between a single 8800GTS and GTX isnt much in most games.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
and uses less power which means I don't get a nasty surprise in my electrical bills. :D
although your PC no matter how many components you shove inside, will only draw the max wattage that it's stated to handle... For instance a 550w PSU will only ever draw 550watts of power from your plug socket, so having two cards in there (as long as it is actually capable of powering it) wont affect your electricity bills, it would be the same as having one card....

The only thing it affects is the power distribution to the other components inside the case, yes, if you have 2 gts's and you decide to have 6 SATA drives in RAID and then over volt the CPU and RAM exteme amounts, im pretty sure you would have the cost of a new PSU to add onto the bill

dragon

maroon1

[-0MEGA-];620782 said:
even the difference between a single 8800GTS and GTX isnt much in most games.

I don't agree with you on that.

This benchmark test for FEAR

fear_3.gif

And this is tomb raider Legend
tomb_raider.gif

So I assume that 8800GTX is about 30%-40% faster than 8800GTS 640MB (when you run your games at high settings)

Personally, I would go with 8800GTX over two 8800GTS 320MB

Last edited:

elitehacker

although your PC no matter how many components you shove inside, will only draw the max wattage that it's stated to handle... For instance a 550w PSU will only ever draw 550watts of power from your plug socket, so having two cards in there (as long as it is actually capable of powering it) wont affect your electricity bills, it would be the same as having one card....
dragon

Do you think your PSU constantly draw 550W of power if its rated at 550W? That is so funny, the amount of heat would be so HUGE, your PC draws what IT NEEDS, so if you have a 600W PSU in your system and your computer only uses 400W, then it WILL ONLY draw 400W. So what I meant from my previous comment was that one 8800GTX will require less power than two 8800GTSes.