2 almost identical PC's one keep BSODing

IKoshee

Hi everyone, I'm new here I hope I'm posting in the correct category.

Here to get some help or advice from you. I just built almost two identical gaming pc's with following specs:

PC 1 (This one is stable, playing games regularly. Blue screened only ones during shot off)
ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Motherboard)
Intel Core i9-11900K (auto overclocked by Asus Bios thingie)
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB
32 GB Crucial Ballistix MAX RGB 4400 MHz (Running at 4200 stably, tested with MemTest (one path only)
NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm (cpu cooler)
EVGA Supernova 1000W Power Supply
EVGA 3090 Kingping Hybrid

PC 2 (This one is crashing all the time)
ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Motherboard)
Intel Core i9-11900K (auto overclocked by Asus Bios thingie)
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB
32 GB Crucial Ballistix MAX RGB 4400 MHz (Running at 4200 stably, tested with MemTest (one path only) I already tried installing different memory it
Parts that are not the same:
NZXT Kraken X73 360mm (CPU cooler)
Corsair 850W Power Supply
EVGA GTX 2080 TI Hybrid (not overclocked)

Both running Windows 10 Pro, I tried disabling all overclocking, and as I said PC2 constantly crashing, mostly when something being installed. I tried changing Hard Drive and Memory. The next thing I'm trying is getting a more powerful Power Supply

Attachments

• Screenshot at Jul 13 20-32-38.png
    Screenshot at Jul 13 20-32-38.png
    585.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Highly doubt it's the power supply, possible, but one of the last things I would try.

I'd reseat RAM and CPU both to start. BIOS update would be a good idea as well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As Darren said, I highly doubt its the psu. Did you install all the drivers especially the chipset driver? The clock watchdog timeout error refers back to the cpu. Do you have the standoffs between case and motherboard in the correct spots? You can try removing the motherboard from the case to test. Remove all overclocking.

Are you getting the exact same code on the blue screens each time? Download and run this and post the results.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

IKoshee

Highly doubt it's the power supply, possible, but one of the last things I would try.

I'd reseat RAM and CPU both to start. BIOS update would be a good idea as well.
I already tried reinstalling RAM and CPU and updated Bios as well, unfortunately that didn’t helped.

IKoshee

As Darren said, I highly doubt its the psu. Did you install all the drivers especially the chipset driver? The clock watchdog timeout error refers back to the cpu. Do you have the standoffs between case and motherboard in the correct spots? You can try removing the motherboard from the case to test. Remove all overclocking.

Are you getting the exact same code on the blue screens each time? Download and run this and post the results.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Unfortunately I no longer can get Windows installed it's crashing at 10% of the Windows file copying process. I tried a new PSU and you guys were right it didn't helped. What do you think I should try changing next CPU or Motherboard, or is there anything else can be done to test things outside of windows? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Any errors listed when it crashes at 10 percent? There should be. Is the hard drive any good? If it's having problems transferring setup file to hdd then it either could be failing ram or a bad hard drive.

IKoshee

Any errors listed when it crashes at 10 percent? There should be. Is the hard drive any good? If it's having problems transferring setup file to hdd then it either could be failing ram or a bad hard drive.
The message is the same Blue Screen of Death with Clock_watchdog_timeout. I tried different Ram and Hard Drive already. The only thing I didn't change is CPU and Motherboard itself.
Like Johnb35 said. Disable the auto CPU overclock and see what happens.
Yeh I already reset Bios to default and it also updated to latest version.

IKoshee

I haven't tried inserting Ram to different slots though, per the motherboard guide I used the 2nd and 4th slot for a two sticks setup.

Darren

Staff member
Could MAYBE be bad motherboard, but that's generally pretty rare to manifest that way. CPU's basically don't ever fail unless you fry them with manual overclocking or physically break them. The automatic overclock stuff is usually pretty conservative and even then it's tough to truly kill chips.

I imagine it's grossly inconvenient, but since you have two of the same mobo, could try swapping them.

I would also recreate your Windows media as it might be corrupted, especially if it fails in the same spot each time.