2 Computer Problems FREEZING UP

dei103

I have an HP desktop running XP Professional Service Pack 2. 1st part is the computer keeps freezing up every 15 minutes to 1 hour of running. After it freezes up, we hold the button to shut it down & then when we hold the button to bring back up it sometimes does not work. We have to wait awhile & keep trying the button. Eventually it will work & go back on, but then it refreezes quickly & starts the process all over again. I tried to research online & the 2 problems that I found it could be are a virus or fan not working (as far as the freezing goes, I have no idea about the computer not turning back on) We seem to think the top fan (next to the power button) is not running & contemplating trying to replace this. As we don't want to bring it in to a computer repair place & spend $200 on a repair if that $200 could go to a new computer. Any advice, Please???!!! THANKS

dei103

Thanks for responding! We have previously tried to run adaware & avg. Avg found a trojan. I had posted my problem on craigslist too & someone wrote me back saying that it is the power supply that needs to be replaced. I don't know if that is the problem with the power not coming back up also, but hopefully it is.