2 Computers??Sharing??

cameronp29

Ok i have my desktop hooked up by a LAN and my laptop is on my wireless network. All I want to do is be able to share files on my desktop with my laptop. How do I go about doing this? I want it to be like a network between just these 2 computers. Not have anyone else looking at or using these files.

thanks

also I have vista on both systems. if this changes anything.

aSc1@3

hook up the ps to the network the laptop is on, and then enble file sharing. Then, anything you want to share, put it in the shared folder.

cameronp29

ive done this before. but there is 2 other computers on the network that i dont want to view the files. I just want my 2 computers to share the files, not my roommates. is there anyway to only have my 2 computers sharing files?

cohen

ive done this before. but there is 2 other computers on the network that i dont want to view the files. I just want my 2 computers to share the files, not my roommates. is there anyway to only have my 2 computers sharing files?

yeah still have them going through a network and disable sharing on the other comps.... or password protect the sharing that you need a password to view the shared files.

Jimmybeam

I have the same issues. I just upgraded my desktop from 98 to XP. I had all drives (including drive partitions) mapped between both comptuers and it worked perfect before teh upgrade now I can only see the laptop from the desktop and not viceversa. Im not going to transfer all the files I want to share into those folders, I wan to re map the drives but my laptop cant see the desktop. Cameron, drive mapping would be the best solution once we figure out how to do it within XP that way you can just map the whole C drive and can access any files and folders you want and no one else has access as long as you secure it with a password.

Jimmybeam

sure has. Im not wanting to hijack this thread, but I didnt think it was necessary to start another on the same topic. I just hope it help the OP as well as myself. When I run the wizard, its like I am creating two seperate networks instead of trying to conect to exsisting one

Jimmybeam

How are you going with this Cameron?? I have managed to make my desktop visible. I just created a workgroup but I still have problems connecting to the drives. I have the drives shared, but it says the computer is not accessible. I have looked everywhere for what ever it is that is stopping me connecting to them. Can anyone else out there help out with this. The desktop is XP pro, the laptop XP Home.

cohen

make sure the computers are on the same workgroup... reboot them after you have done this....

and some areas of the hard drive you won't be able to access.... share the the folder you want to see....

JlCollins005

mapping network drives isnt to hard i had to do this at my old workplace a while back im on vista ill hook my other pc up and see if i can remember how to do it.. funny thing is i didnt get paid to do it, i worked in the shop on the floor and they found out i know about computers so they had me do instead of calling their IT guy in..

cohen

to map a network drive here are the steps

1. > Open Windows Explorer
2. > Tools
3. > Map network drive
4. > Follow instructions

Good Luck

Alan1ar1s

Ok i have my desktop hooked up by a LAN and my laptop is on my wireless network. All I want to do is be able to share files on my desktop with my laptop. How do I go about doing this? I want it to be like a network between just these 2 computers. Not have anyone else looking at or using these files.

thanks

also I have vista on both systems. if this changes anything.

may I suggest something
This is also can work from whenever you are. I mean and outside your home
Why don't you try to make a remote desktop connection?

cohen

may I suggest something
This is also can work from whenever you are. I mean and outside your home
Why don't you try to make a remote desktop connection?

that requires a program if you want to do that!

You are able to do it over LAN just you have to use windows XP pro.