2 Desktops cannot both see printer

sm100378

Hello,

I have two desktops next to each other, with two monitors. The two PCs are both ethernet going into the modem/wireless router. The printer is going into a "common" or "USB input" due to shortage of USB adapters, and then this piece is usb into one of the PCs. It also has a power outlet (small).

I also have the printer going into the router as well, via ethernet.

The PC that the USB additional piece is attached to can print but the other cannot, even though it is all ethernet.

Looking for some input.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

I have two desktops next to each other, with two monitors. The two PCs are both ethernet going into the modem/wireless router. The printer is going into a "common" or "USB input" due to shortage of USB adapters, and then this piece is usb into one of the PCs. It also has a power outlet (small).

I also have the printer going into the router as well, via ethernet.

The PC that the USB additional piece is attached to can print but the other cannot, even though it is all ethernet.

Looking for some input.

Thank you in advance!

I do not quite understand what you are trying to explain? I would just put the two machines onto a workgroup together, choose the pc you use the most and plug the printer into that one then make sure it is set to be online. Then just connect to it on the other pc?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What printer do you have? You don't need it hooked up to both usb and ethernet. If the printer has an ethernet port then thats all you need to connect it to your network. The printer must be installed on all pc's attached to the network. So go to the manufacturer support site or use the printer install cd and tell it to use the ethernet port to set it up correctly. Unplug the usb cable unless it tells you to plug it in to get network settings. Its very simple to do.

sm100378

What printer do you have? You don't need it hooked up to both usb and ethernet. If the printer has an ethernet port then thats all you need to connect it to your network. The printer must be installed on all pc's attached to the network. So go to the manufacturer support site or use the printer install cd and tell it to use the ethernet port to set it up correctly. Unplug the usb cable unless it tells you to plug it in to get network settings. Its very simple to do.

I have a Brother MFC 7345N

I would think the router would assign an IP automatically for both PCs, no?