2 different size of rams OK?

i currently have a mb of 256 ram but im thinking of getting a 512 so i can put it in on the other slot next to my 256 ram, but does my 2 rams have to be the same size like (256 here and another 256 there) or can it be a 256 there and a 512 there)?

bball4life

Ya the only time you have to worry about mixing sizes of RAMs is if you are gonna run dual channel. Just find the correct speed, and add it, and you will be up and running.

lovely?

ya, i'm running 1gb of ocz and 256mb of corsair xms. works fine. just make sure they are the same speed (ex: kingston 256 ddr400 + ocz 512 ddr667= very bad problem)

Jet

VIP Member
As long as you don't have RDRAM you'll be fine. As well, if you have SDRAM, each module must be the same speed.

bball4life

ya, i'm running 1gb of ocz and 256mb of corsair xms. works fine. just make sure they are the same speed (ex: kingston 256 ddr400 + ocz 512 ddr667= very bad problem)
No really, the two speeds, and even brands aren't that big of a deal, it just hurts performance. If you stick 1 stick of pc3200 with a stick of pc2700 then it will run at the slower speeds, that is all.

Syrillian

I have used mixed speed RAM (PC2700 w/ PC3200) and the system will downclock the faster RAM.

I also think that the stock timings need to be the same (3-3-3-8, or whatever yours are.). I have read that this is the case. I can't deny it, as I have never mixed timings. Might want to check it out.