2 gig(2x1) pc3200 or 1 gig(2x512) pc4800

Metzzen1

Im have a decent gaming rig in the works. AMD 3800+ X2, eVGA 7900gt,DFI lanpart SLi-Dr Expert, good psu hd's all that stuff.

Right now i have a 1 gig stick of PQI "turbo" pc 3200 ram

I wanted to upgrade to a dual channel kit. i also want to overclock quite a bit, plan on OC'ing to 2700 ghz.

what would be better for gaming performance, dvd converting(ipod) plus multitasking

1 gig (2x512) mb pc4800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820178088

or

2 gigs (2x1) gig pc 3200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486

im not set on the brands for the two so if there are better choices for the money let me know.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I think the Corsair would be the best option. I don't overclock too much, but the CAS timmings don't seem THAT different, and I don't think you'll be able to get the PNY up to full speed anyway...seeing as AMDs(assuming you mean 939)

fade2green514

get the 2gb stuff... you dont need to overclock the ram, plus i got mine to ddr520 without breaking a sweat.
not to mention if all else fails you can always use a divider. btw AMD prices are going to drop severly in around the next month to a month and a half... by enough $$ to wait for the drop.
also conroe is coming out... consider getting it.

Metzzen1

i must clarify, i already have everything in this system been up and running a month or so until i got some more play cash. im just buyin ram so i thought id ask

fruscai

get the more readily overclockable ram. I see that your mobo choice is a DFI lanparty, which is by far the most overclockable mobo out there. You'll be able to choose between tons of settings in the bios and pretty much mess with whatever you like, if you want to reach your 2.7Ghz off of an x2 3800+ i would actually go for DDR 500 (PC 4000) ram. If you look it up, there's been a lot of success with DFI boards and ddr500 ram as it allows for full potential of the ram to be released, which will, in turn, allow everything else to work faster.