2 gigs of ram=woot!

Bob Jeffery

Wow I just upgraded today and I don't see how you could need anymore!!!! It makes xp fast even with a crappy single core! It even helps my games some! And for $20 that's and awesome upgrade!!! WOOO!! I just couldn't believe it helped this much! Ok I need to go remove my exclamation point key now :D

Geoff

VIP Member
2GB of RAM for XP is a perfect amount, however if you use Vista or do some image/video/audio editing then getting 4GB is even better!

Twist86

That's not 100% true....once you tweak Vista and disable all the junk programs/processes Vista uses less then 500mb of Ram.

So 2Gbs would be just fine even for 64bit...unless as stated you do video editing and what not.

Light weight games like WoW COD4 etc etc don't use more then 1GB on my machine....games like GTA4 4gb = Candy since it can actually use it.

Though considering 2x2 kits are cheaper then 4x1 or 1x2 kits means 4GB is the best choice ^-^

This is just what I noticed one day when I was bored and was playing around with ram ^-^

Geoff

VIP Member
That's not 100% true....once you tweak Vista and disable all the junk programs/processes Vista uses less then 500mb of Ram.

So 2Gbs would be just fine even for 64bit...unless as stated you do video editing and what not.

Light weight games like WoW COD4 etc etc don't use more then 1GB on my machine....games like GTA4 4gb = Candy since it can actually use it.

Though considering 2x2 kits are cheaper then 4x1 or 1x2 kits means 4GB is the best choice ^-^

This is just what I noticed one day when I was bored and was playing around with ram ^-^
I should have worded it differently, while Vista runs fairly well on even 1GB of RAM it can benefit from having 4GB of RAM.

Strokes

[-0MEGA-];1145948 said:
I should have worded it differently, while Vista runs fairly well on even 1GB of RAM it can benefit from having 4GB of RAM.

My hp dv6000 laptop had 1 GB of RAM when I got it and it worked fine. I had a little trouble running HL:2, but that wasnt too bad compared to my parents old DELL desktop (512 MB RAM)

Geoff

VIP Member
My hp dv6000 laptop had 1 GB of RAM when I got it and it worked fine. I had a little trouble running HL:2, but that wasnt too bad compared to my parents old DELL desktop (512 MB RAM)
Yeah, my Acer has 1GB of RAM and even when I'm running Aero it does basic tasks just fine, I can even do some light Photoshop work without many delays.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i remember going from 512mb of ram to 1.5Gb in my old rig using Xp and it was so much faster.

anything from 1.5-2Gb is great for Xp.