2 hard drives?

drunkbum222

What does it take to have 2 hard drives in one computer? I want to know because I'll be building with an 80gb hard drive and later I might want to get another one or if I have the cash a raptor.

mikey4865

it is actually better to have 2 of the same but it isnt dat big of a deal and u must either have a RAID card that u put into your mobo or your mobo might have it installled in it already and that allows your computer to read both hard drives

SFR

Truth fears no questions
mikey4865 said:
it is actually better to have 2 of the same but it isnt dat big of a deal and u must either have a RAID card that u put into your mobo or your mobo might have it installled in it already and that allows your computer to read both hard drives

..No RAID card is needed... all you have to do is set one hard drive to be the master and the other one the slave. Then change a bios setting and there you go.

ceewi1

VIP Member
A RAID card allows you to use 'link' the two hard drives, and use them as one drive. There are two main types of RAID. Stripping, which is the one you are probably looking at, involves putting some of the data on one drive and some of the other. For example, if you send a 100MB file to the hard drives, it will put 50MB on one, and 50 on the other. This increases the transfer speed. The two drives will appear as one single drive to Windows, which is twice the size of one individual drive. The other main type is called mirroring. This sends the same data to both hard drives, essentially providing a real time backup in case one of the drives fails. It is also worth noting that the two drives really should be identical, or at least the same size. For more info, and a better explanation of what i've just said, read RAID 101

super_xero

and also you can get different set up of raid you can have say 2 drives in raid 0 as said above which speeds up load times and 3 in raid 3 for security matter what you wana do read 101 :)

Kanduu

Your motherboard should have two IDE channels. PRIMARY and SECONDARY.
On most computers the PRIMARY is attached to the HARD-DISK while the SECONDARY is attached to the CD/DVD drive.

To install two HARD-DISKS on the same channel, (PRIMARY or SECONDARY),
one of the disks must be set to MASTER and one to the SLAVE. (This is a jumper-setting on the back edge of the HARD-DISK).

The MASTER drive must be connected to the end of the cable. While the SLAVE is connected in the middle of it.

|-------|------| 40/80 ribbon cable.
MB SLAVE MASTER