2 Hdds and Tiny Xp

Zeus2005

Hey!

Right, I got an OS called Tiny XP Beast, and it is- a Beast :) , it used almost no RAM or HDD space but functions like normal windows (its windows xp with all the extras left out, about 140Mb big, uses 42Mb ram and took about 10 minutes to install). Anyway, I installed it on my spare 20Gig HDD but my pc doesnt seem to like having 2 HDDs!

The problem: It only wants to load the OS from the HD that is connected to my DVD-RW, with the HDD as master and DVD-RW as slave. I also have 2 other IDE connections on the mobo so i connect the other HDD to one of them (as master) and it comes up in BIOS (bios reports 2 hdd's) but when I try to:

1) set the 20gig as the main boot I get the Blue Screen just as windows starts to load, so to run my newly installed Tiny XP i have to physicly swap it for the 200gig one, then it loads fine.

2) When in either OS (Tiny or normal xp), with both HDD's connected and registered in BIOS, When i click on My Computer the other HD aint there, like its not even plugged in. What I was planning to do was run my newly installed TinyXP as the OS and use the files from my 200Gig XP HDD, eg watch a movie etc.

Hope that all makes sence, let me know if not and ill try to explain it clearer.

Cheeeeeeers!

EDIT: ok, with problem #2, I just notices that when running normal XP (the 200gig hdd), it does let me go into the 20gig HDD from my computer!, but not the other way round, if im running the TinyXp OS, I cant see my 200Gig Hdd from my computer - typical, its not duin the exact thing i need it to do. Do you think its because this stripped Tiny Xp doesnt have the files needed to see the other HDD?, if so, any apps that would let me see it?, as I said, it shows up in BIOS so its defo connected, I just cant get to in from this TinyXP.

EDIT 2: lol, this is getting kinda long now but its really werid. When I connect the 20gig one to my DVD-RW (so i boot the Tiny XP) I CAN change the bios to load the normal one too! So it works one way, but not the other!, how werird is that??

EDIT3!: A BRIGHT IDEA!, you recon its because I have a password to log into winXP but not in TinyXP, so as security its not letting me see the files on the big HDD since you would need a password to access them?

Last edited:

Zeus2005

bump bump bump

EDIT: Right I disabled the password and its still not letting me see the 200gb hdd when im in the TinyXP OS! Also, its not detecting the HDD in device manager (but it is in BIOS) and when in normal XP, device manager detects both of the HDD's, so I think its a problem in the TinyXP.

Last edited:

bball4life

Zeus2005 said:
bump bump bump

EDIT: Right I disabled the password and its still not letting me see the 200gb hdd when im in the TinyXP OS! Also, its not detecting the HDD in device manager (but it is in BIOS) and when in normal XP, device manager detects both of the HDD's, so I think its a problem in the TinyXP.
Why don't you just leave it the way that you had it when you got it working?:confused:

Zeus2005

lol, na , when im in normal windows, everything works perfect, i can get to all my files on both HDD's, byt when I load into my TinyXP install of windows -it doesnt see the other hard drive (the one with real windows on it), it does in BIOS but not in decive manager etc, Iv tried lots of progs n none of them recognise that there are two HDD's, think mayb TinyXP doesnt have some software needed (because if i click on My Computer/Manage/Storage, there is nothing there at all-its empty, so I guess thats been left out), and thats y its not working.

Sacrinyellow5

I bet it's not being recognized, because you have two different OS's on the drives. Maybe the OS's files on the drive you are using as a slave is causing problems with the recognition. You might g et more help in the OS forum on this subject.