2 HD's, both W/ Windows

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
if you installed windows onto that harddrive from that computer, then yes, you can boot off that hd. You'll run in to a selection menu when you boot up, just select which windows xp you want.

jp198780

no i didnt installed windows on the computer i want 2 use, i bought computers with windows pre-installed, and they went down, and i want 2 see if the GD's are bad, because i have a suspision that the hard drive went bad from static electric charge, and killed my mobo in my Gateway desktop, i already had the hard drives in here (Dell Optiplex), and nothing happened? this computer still works?

Arm_Pit3

You can run windows from a secondary harddrive, if you have a bootmanger setup correctly trhen you will get a sleection, or you can switch harddrivee boot priotiy in your BIOS.

If you took the harddrive from a computer with a different chipset you may need to install windows onto it again though.

MrBucket

who are you to pry into his personal business??? he just ask a simple question, not like hes planning something illegal, so ur lil "probable cause" reason is out

fade2green514

not if it was in a different computer. if it has another mobo's drivers installed, it shouldn't boot. depends though... only way to know for sure is to try.
sometimes drivers are compatible with others... but normally a gigabyte driver wouldnt be compatible with an asus driver, get what im sayin?
for instance, i replaced my dads p4 2.4 with an A64 1.8ghz and with the new mobo his old hard drive wouldnt boot.. it would come up with the windows load screen and then just a black screen. same thing happened when i tried to boot my hard drive into my uncles computer with a gigabyte s754 mobo. mines an ECS and the drivers simply weren't compatible.
i think it had something to do with hardware profiles and such, either way it will not work you need to boot the drive in the original computer.

Last edited: