2 mile adhoc network

enigmaz7

Ok guys, this one is a long shot but please dump what you know here. I am looking to created an adhoc network over a 2 mile area. We live in the mountains and my buddy is a ways down from me. its about 1 ~ 2 miles. Basically I found this article on poor mans wifi the other day, and I am going to setup my own adhoc network using a dish like the one in the guide.. If this will not work thats fine, we want to see how far out it will go for us. What can we do with an established ad hoc network? I would like to be able to IM, webcam feeds, and file share if possible. Also any other ideas on things to experiment with are really welcomed. Also with this do they have to be pointing directly at one another or do they just need to cross somewheres on here. Anyways thanks for the help and a video will be posted when available.

Motoxrdude

it's definitely doable. my girlfriend's grandpa and I made two helix antennas and i was able to get decent transfer speeds from about a mile and a half away. he pretty much made everything but i helped lol. him and his buddies were actually the first group to bounce a signal off the moon back to earth and it was used in the appollo missions :p
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12595
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12598

basically what you need to do is spend an afternoon and just read up on this stuff and become an expert, then you can look into actually building it. when it comes to antennas, being exactly precise is critical. a couple MMs off and it won't work.

enigmaz7

Was this all LOS? And can I do this with a frying wok deal? Thanks so much for all this I am really really pumped about making one now.

CrayonMuncher

this sounds very interesting i hope it works
id imagine you can file share, im etc also if either of you have interent you may be able to share the connection from what ive read either way good luck

Geoff

VIP Member
Being in the mountains will make this very hard, you really need line of sight between both locations, since the frequencies are in the 2.4GHz range.

enigmaz7

Ok I have the materials and its working very well, I have heard that this can damage the device? how can it damage my USB adapter and what should I do to prevent this from ever happening.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1379375 said:
Being in the mountains will make this very hard, you really need line of sight between both locations, since the frequencies are in the 2.4GHz range.

Bump up to N standards and you got dual band, both 2.4 and 5 GHz bandwidth!

Geoff

VIP Member
Ok I have the materials and its working very well, I have heard that this can damage the device? how can it damage my USB adapter and what should I do to prevent this from ever happening.
You have it working over 2 miles?

It's hard to answer your question when you haven't told us what you've done so far.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You could set up several using WDS to repeat the signal, but you would need some serious power going to them to keep it going and that point you might as well just run fiber or CAT6 with some repeaters.

enigmaz7

[-0MEGA-];1379413 said:
You have it working over 2 miles?

It's hard to answer your question when you haven't told us what you've done so far.

Sorry about that, basically what I have done is created a basic one ( without finding the exact focal point ) I put it dead in the center just to check to see what kind of signal I could get. Basically it double/tripled my reception. I am working to find the focal point right now, but I had another question which way would work better, facing the USB dongle away from the center of the parabola, or towards the center of the parabola. I stuck it out of my porch and found 1 extra AP and full 5 bars from mine. I also went to a few restaurant I knew of in town that had Wifi and was able to detect them from a fair distant away. Right now I am going to see what I can do to get the most accurate measurement of where the focal point is.

Here are the materials I am using:

A small Wok ( maybe 12 inches wide )
A netgear USB G adapter
and various networking tools freeware

I am looking into a few apps that could be used with the newly created lan, so I found a good IM,Mail,and FTP or like tools. Any other Ideas are greatly welcomed. I am going to help my friend make his If I can get at least a half mile out of this device.

Thanks again for all the help, I am really glad this forum has people who will actually respond I think this will be my regular login site for now on and again thanks ..

Geoff

VIP Member
I didn't see it mentioned, but are you running with just the factory power output? Even line of sight, 2 miles at what, 50mW seems pretty far fetched.

Bump up to N standards and you got dual band, both 2.4 and 5 GHz bandwidth!
With 5GHz even more reason it needs to be line of sight! Unless you can find something to bounce off of, but then you would need even more power.

Motoxrdude

You definitely will not be able to go 2 miles using kitchenware lol. You will need to make an antenna of somesort to make any difference. Your usuable signal using the wok will be the same because you'll get some insane packet loss.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You will also need a very nice power source to power that signal. Don't let the FCC catch wind of this either, if it is powerful enough to stretch 2 miles they have find issue with it.